Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard/Clockspeed/Bus Architecture  (Read 2574 times)

Vic the Trader

Topic Starter

Starter

Motherboard/Clockspeed/Bus Architecture
    « on: October 15, 2009, 02:16:54 AM »
    Hey Computer Hope.

Please do bear with me here on this one, it's still sort of cloudy but I'm trying to understand the basics of motherboard clock speed and bus architecture and I'm actually having a really hard time at that.

My first question.....
    When you use the term clock-speed at all, or even mention data within the motherboard (and therefore the rest of the system) is being transferred at let's say 7MBps, assuming the motherboard bus architecture is compatible with that bus speed, does the Motherboard actually produce any sort of speed or is it simply the CPU alone that determines clockspeed for the whole system?

I'm under the impression that the North bridge and South bridge are merely Hubs, not processing chips.

My second question.....
    I'm having some trouble understanding the underlying logic here that makes these statements true.

A computer with a (CPU?) clock speed of 7Mhz and an 8-bit bus width has a speed of 7MBps.
    A computer with a (CPU?) clock speed of 7Mhz an a 16-bit bus width has a speed of 14MBps.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of the computer through the clock speed and bus width?  I understand that when you double the bit width, you double the amount of data that can be sent per second (or maybe it's relative to the clock speed?), but I'm not sure how to calculate that, nor what the Computer speed would be if you switched the 16-bit bus width to a 32-bit bus width.

So far this is all I can put together to make half-way concise questions.