Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: trash  (Read 5449 times)

coleen

Topic Starter

Rookie
    trash
    « on: October 16, 2009, 04:45:00 AM »
    It's me again!! Was just going through everything in my trash and there is a lot of junk in there that I know I don't need. But there is quite a few thing that I don't have any idea what they are. They say something like "recovered file #16" and some other stuff that I don't understand at all. If I permanently delete them from my trash will it effect the things I have downloaded like Firefox and Adobe flash? How do I know what is safe to delete, and how do I delete the things I don't need without deleting the things I do? In case you don't remember, I have an emac with a mac os x 10.4.11.
    Thanks for your help! ???

Blake00

Beginner

Re: trash
      « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:57:21 AM »
      Copy "as in right click" then paste them in the post, so i can look at them.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:01 AM »
      It's me again!! Was just going through everything in my trash and there is a lot of junk in there that I know I don't need. But there is quite a few thing that I don't have any idea what they are. They say something like "recovered file #16" and some other stuff that I don't understand at all. If I permanently delete them from my trash will it effect the things I have downloaded like Firefox and Adobe flash? How do I know what is safe to delete, and how do I delete the things I don't need without deleting the things I do? In case you don't remember, I have an emac with a mac os x 10.4.11.
      Thanks for your help! ???

Coleen,

Unless you accidentally put some files in the trash, it's safe to delete them.

If you want help actually going through what may or may not be safe to delete, you're going to have to list them out here so we can help you decipher what everything is.

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:15:37 AM »
        those "recovered" files could be almost anything. you can safely just empty the trash and not worry about it. they are just files that the os thinks were lost, and most of the time they are just cache files that the creating apps deletes when you quit anyway. you will get them more often if you empty the trash right before shut down, or have a lot of apps open when you do a shut down and so they get killed as opposed to completely quitting as they like (so i get them all the time.).
        Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »
          Because these things are in the trash and your computer hasn't given you any fits then it's safe to empty the trash.

Alan <><  :D
          I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!