Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Help Required  (Read 6221 times)

Ste

Wireless Help Required
« on: June 15, 2005, 10:12:05 AM »
Ive just installed a wireless router (Netgear WPN824) but my laptop cannot talk to my router. Everything seems ok ive checked the obvious things like enabled access  point etc.. My PC directly connects to my router and that works fine its just with my laptop and trying connect.

Ive tried for a couple of days now so any help would be appreciated

merlin_2

Re: Wireless Help Required
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 10:37:57 AM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:39:15 AM by merlin_2 »

Ste

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 10:43:50 AM »
its a built in adapter

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 10:49:46 AM »
what results do you get if you type netstat.....in the cmd prompt??are your firewalls on both pc/laptop allowing the router to work....did you click the wirless icon in the control panel....it may help.....

Ste

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 10:50:43 AM »
ive disabled my laptop firewall and have not tried netstat

merlin_2

ste25

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 11:48:12 AM »
thanks for that - but still having connection issues! would reseting my router make a difference at all?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 11:50:20 AM »
yes. it may do  but more info here if needed>>.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx......always load the software first<most isps provide this disk> then attach any usb hubs //routers......
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 11:55:57 AM by merlin_2 »

ste25

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 03:30:25 PM »
If my router has a SSID should my laptop see it or would i have to manual add this SSID in the network properties on my laptop?

ste25

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 04:10:20 PM »
Also, is there much difference in config when trying to connect a laptop to a wireless router than using Peer to Peer (adhoc)

Ste

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 05:00:07 AM »
any1?

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 05:27:48 AM »
I pretty much have the same setup as you. When I first set it up, it turned out that the Norton firewall was preventing a connection. Make sure you don't have a software firewall that's preventing a connection. If you do, you will have to configure it. I never had much luck with ad-hoc networks. Also try broadcasting the SSID until the laptop "finds" it, then you can turn off the broadcast.

Set up the router without any bells and whistles (WEP/WPA, MAC filtering, etc). Add them in later after the default setup is working.

Good luck. 8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

Ste

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 05:40:13 AM »
im going through a router (adhoc) - If my pc is hard wired to the router would that dictate connections as i have a firewall on my pc?

Ste

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 05:41:12 AM »
(not adhoc i ment)

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 06:20:47 AM »
Did you run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard in the Control Panel as Merlin suggested? The router just handles the traffic and internal IP assignments, so having one wired PC and a wireless Laptop is not a problem.

You can reset the router to the factory defaults from the PC. Try that, run the wireless wizard on the Laptop and let us know what happens.

Good luck.8)

-- Albert Einstein

Ste

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 06:59:00 AM »
i have tried the wizard, but may need to reset my router and re-run. Will i need to change any settings on my wireless NIC card on my laptop?

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 07:43:23 AM »
You should not have to change any settings. The Wizard will take care of the network settings. You mentioned that you have a built in adapter. Does that mean all the wireless hardware is built in or is there a wireless card you plug into the adapter? If so, is the software for the wireless card installed and is Windows controlling the network?

Also microwaves and 2.4GHZ telephones can interfere with your wireless connection.

Let us know. 8)

-- Albert Einstein

Ste

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 08:09:48 AM »
the wireless card is built in my laptop. So your saying if i reset my router and run the wizard on laptop that should be it?

Sidewinder

Guru

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 08:23:33 AM »
If there is no firewall blocking it and with a little luck, you should be OK. To check, ping the router. You can always install any security features and file sharing later.

Good luck. 8)

-- Albert Einstein

Ste

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 06:12:16 AM »
problem solved - ended up being my chuffing laptops NIC card was disabled by a switch underneath my laptop! flicked it on and poped up my SSID !!!!

Thanks for ur comments