Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intenet access problems following infection  (Read 3358 times)

worldlywanderer

Topic Starter

Starter

Intenet access problems following infection
    « on: November 04, 2009, 03:30:43 AM »
    My ASUS 1000 H XP laptop running XP Home SP3 is infected and Avasti was not man enough to stop or cure it. Luckily I have limited access to the internet from an ancient desktop. I found advice that Stopzilla would cure the problem and downloaded it onto an external hard drive using this desktop - uploaded it to the laptop, installed it and managed to partially update the virus library from the web while running in safe mode. Unfortunately the programme will work to some extent but clearly is not loaded properly.

I could download and upload email using Microsoft Outlook but not achieve internet access because - so the new IE told me - I could not download HTP - I think. After some browsing on this site I took some advice and looked at hidden devices - under "non-plug and play" drivers I discovered one called "serial" is not working properly and am cautious about updating in on the web as it might do anything! I did take another look at the other hardware and discovered that my ethernet controller was disabled - by a virus I suspect, so I switched it on and lo and behold - I had internet access again.

After reinstalling stopzilla I discovered my internet access had gone again and this time there were two hidden drivers Serial, as before and now PartMgr but this one won't ley me look at it's properties.

I feel I'm on the track of a solution but don't yet see what it is, can anyone help?

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Intenet access problems following infection
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:04:35 PM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

go to above and complete , post 3 logs here and an expert will look at them , harry

worldlywanderer

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »
      Well, I am clearly very stupid because I don't understand:
      a. What three logs
      b. How to download into my computer when the problem is that I have lost internet access and before you ask, yes, I've read the huge introductory sections

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Dribbling Pensioner
      « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »
      Luckily I have limited access to the internet from an ancient desktop. I found advice that Stopzilla would cure the problem and downloaded it onto an external

sorry i seen this

go to a clean pc d/load to a memory stick all from the page below and run on your pc , copy / paste the 3 logs to your pc and print out , load to a pc and post here , no transfer of bugs etc

worldlywanderer

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:21:42 AM »
        "sorry I seen this" - I'm lost - sorry you seen what?

I'm further lost since your link leads to a very long post which I don't see how to "run" on my computer

harry 48

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Dribbling Pensioner
        « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:13:51 AM »

I'm further lost since your link leads to a very long post which I don't see how to "run" on my computer

go to a clean pc d/load to a memory stick all from the page below and run on your pc , copy / paste the 3 logs to your pc and print out , load to a pc and post here , no transfer of bugs etc