Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Down Service Pack 1  (Read 2553 times)

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
    PC Down Service Pack 1
    « on: November 07, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »
    I have an HP 8120n Media Center PC w/Vista Home Premium. I was trying to upgrade to Win 7 and when I went to the compatibility check I was told I needed Service Pack 1 to upgrade to 7. I downloaded and attempted to install SP1 and my PC stopped in the middle of the install and I can't do a thing with it. I have tried everything, system restore, system repair, boot from Safe Mode, boot directly from the WIN7 disk and nothing gets past the point where it is stuck. My questions, is there a fix for this and if not is there a way to copy my data from my hard drive to another drive and/or DVD disks so I don't lose all my files? I think I can bring the system back using my recovery disks but I will lose all data that way. Please help I have to much stuff to lose.
    Thank you,
    BG
    Thank you,
    Blookah

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: PC Down Service Pack 1
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »
    Your best bet is to back up your data and go for clean install (always recommended) of Windows 7.
    Since you didn't have any service packs installed on Vista, you've been lacking several security patches, so who knows, what's going on on your computer.

Blookah

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Don't Stop Believin'!!
      « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »
      But if I can't get to my desktop how to I copy files?
      Thank you,
      Blookah

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »