Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: router - Switch - router !!!  (Read 3644 times)

alaabelbeisi

Topic Starter

Rookie

router - Switch - router !!!
    « on: November 10, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
    hello,

there is something i can't understand, recently the ISP sent a guy who setup the new internet system using the fiber optics, and he gave us a new router-modem to use, anyway i used to have a switch to use for non wireless computers so i reconnected  the router with the switch using cross cable, then i tried to connect from the switch to the PC using straight cable but it didn't work!!, then i got the old router-modem and connected it to the switch using straight cable and it is works fine!!, then i connected cable from the router to the PC and it works fine, the ip address for the computer is 192.168.0.2 the gateway is 192.168.1.1 (the ip address of the main router-modem.

my questions is:

1:-what is wrong with the switch - computer connection why it didn't work.
    2:- the ip address of the second router is 192.168.254.254 and i can't ping it or reach it at all even i connected trough it!!!

i think it is a big miss here :)

Note : please if you can't help me don't criticism :)

alaabelbeisi

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: router - Switch - router !!!
      « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »
      PS: this image to help you better understand my connection

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
      1.  Can't see the image clearly.  Need more detail as to ports plugged into.
      2.  Why are you using a crossover cable?
      3.  A switch is never a router, but a router can be a switch.  Routers assign IP's, switches don't.
      4.  I suspect you are plugged into the wrong ports on the routers and the switch.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
      I agree with the Computer_Commando.
      Trying to get twp routers to work together is link pulling a tooth.
      But we are willing to help, if we can.
      Some of the new routers don't care it you have a cross over or not.
      Some older hubs/switches  would have one jack that you could select as straight or cross over.
      To use a second router as a switch, klyou need to do a few things.
      First you have to log into the second router from a PC. Do not have this router connected to anything else. You have done this before, -right? You nee to set the router so that it is not the gateway and it is not the DCHP. The you may need to reset the IP of the router so that it is in the same sublet used by the new router, but not the very same IP. You want to second router to act like a client to the new router. Maybe 92.168.1.33 or something close, but not too close.
      Now hook up the cables the way you think they should go.
      You will have to reset the entire system, bother routers and all PCs in the system. You can NOT use the WAN port on the second router.
      It may take a bit of time for the PC to find the right address to use. You may have to a disable and them repair to get the Windows system to find the right IP and gateway.

Once you get it right, it will stay that way for along time.

alaabelbeisi

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:07:05 PM »
        Posted by: Computer_Commando    Posted on: Today at 11:37:53 AM
        Insert Quote
        1.  Can't see the image clearly.  Need more detail as to ports plugged into.
        2.  Why are you using a crossover cable?
        3.  A switch is never a router, but a router can be a switch.  Routers assign IP's, switches don't.
        4.  I suspect you are plugged into the wrong ports on the routers and the switch.

the cable which connects the main router and the switch plugged on port number 3 (router) to the WAN port on the switch so i can get the internet works, the i have another cable from the switch port # 3 to the WAN/LAN port on the second router, then a cable from the second router port 2 to the PC.

i am just wondering when i tried to connect a cable direct from the switch to the pc it didn't work (unplugged)
        from other side i've my digital receiver which connected to the internet directly via the switch!!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
        ...You can NOT use the WAN port on the second router....
        Not necessarily true.  I have 2 routers connected exactly that way.  It only works because default IP's of both routers are very different, i.e. 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.0.1

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
        ... it didn't work (unplugged) from other side i've my digital receiver which connected to the internet directly via the switch!!
        I do not follow this at all.  All of a sudden, it's unplugged and there is a digital receiver.
        Make 2 diagrams which we can see and understand.

alaabelbeisi

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »
          I do not follow this at all.  All of a sudden, it's unplugged and there is a digital receiver.
          Make 2 diagrams which we can see and understand.

i mean when i tried to connect cable from switch to computer it didn't work.
          the same cable i connected it to the digital receiver it works fine!

alaabelbeisi

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
            I found the problem, well. i can't believe that the 2 cables i use to test were NOT working!! i've got a new cable now and it works fine from the switch to the PC, thank you all for help guys.

but i am still a little bit confused about the cable types issue

from a router to switch what i need!! crossover or straight or it doesn't matter what about the new and the old routers- switch!! etc...  from PC to PC!! if someone can explain than because i feel i lost all my informations :)

thanks again :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
            Crossover cables are generally used to connect one computer to another with no router, switch or hub.  The "crossover" refers to connecting the transmit of one computer to the receive of the other computer, so the receive and transmit pairs within the cable are actually crossed-over.  A straight-thru cable would connect receive to receive and transmit to transmit.  Routers and switches perform the crossover internally.

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 06:02:51 PM »
            Crossover cables are generally used to connect one computer to another with no router, switch or hub.  The "crossover" refers to connecting the transmit of one computer to the receive of the other computer, so the receive and transmit pairs within the cable are actually crossed-over.  A straight-thru cable would connect receive to receive and transmit to transmit.  Routers and switches perform the crossover internally.

Cross over ethernet cables are also used to connect a single computer to a broadband modem.  They are more common than you may think.
            Evil is an exact science.