Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get nVidia 7300 GT and MX4000 to work together...  (Read 3846 times)

Dead Reckon

Can't get nVidia 7300 GT and MX4000 to work together...
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:20:18 AM »
Alright, here's the problem, i wanted to use an old nVidia MX4000 64MB PCI GPU as a secondary GPU to run my TV and maybe another monitor, its got S-video, and its annoying to have to switch between my secondary monitor (Which is on my 7300 GT) and the TV every time i want to use the TV. I've tried the new drivers for the 7300, they don't see the MX4000, but the old MX4000 drivers see the 7300, but, the old drivers are absolutely horrible. Anyone got any ideas? I'll try to list things as detailed as possible. I know most of the specs off the top of my head.

The specs of this computer are as follows

Pentium 4 (socket 478) Prescott @ 3.0GHz w/ a 800MHz FSB, and Hyper Threading. I find it amusing how Prescotts nearly run hot enough to rival a stove eye without a decent heatsink. This one gets to about 146 tops while gaming, not horrible, but it could stand to be lowered, nothing I can do though, I got no money for a new heatsink, thats not the problem though, this system is rock solid usually. Though it does throw a random bluescreen at me from time to time... I think it just does that to annoy me. "Hey, you've been gaming too long, go away!".

MSI PM8M-V MS-7104 socket 478 motherboard. Pretty good motherboard, the VIA P4M800 chipset it boasts is better than the Intel chipsets of the socket 478 era.

inno3D 7300GT GDDR2 512MB 128 bit AGP 8x GPU. The linked card isn't 100% identical, its got similar specs though, its my card adapted to PCI-E. Mine has the 400MHz core, and the 666MHz RAM clock, supposed to be 667, but its 666. Still one of the best AGP video cards one can buy.

Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SBO100 PCI sound card. Really good sound card, bit lacking as far as modern performance goes, but its great for this setup. Sounds great too, I love good audio quality.

D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter (rev B). Not much to say about this card 'cept that I've had it since 2006ish, its given me my fair share of hassle, lately its worked fine though.

1GB DDR 400 (2x 512MB) @ DDR 333 (somehow the Kingston K series sticks timing doesn't match, so its clocked down to 333). I think I might upgrade to 2GB (2x1GB) of DDR 400

Western Digital 3200 series 320GB ATA100 hard drive. I love this hard drive, I bought it in late 2006 and its still alive and kicking, not horribly slow like most drives of its time either. Not blazing fast, but not staggeringly slow.

Sony 52x read/32x write CD-RW (I don't have a spare DVD-RW).

Rosewill AP-600X 550W PSU (I had it from when i sold my lil brother my desktop, he already had a similar PSU, 'cept his had two rails and mine had one.)

Not entirely sure on the specs of the MX4000, I just know its a PCI nVidia MX4000 64MB 32 bit GPU, i had it running with my 7600 GT years ago when i was living at my fathers house. How I got it to run, I'm not sure.

I would link a picture of the aforementioned setup, but photobucket seems to not be loading.

Oh, the current setup I'm running, I don't have a decent case so... Its mounted to a uh... A wooden TV dinner tray. The CD/floppy drive bay is from a small shuttle PC case, the hard drive cage is from a gateway, and the motherboard tray is from a tiny Pentium III HP pavilon case, I haven't mounted the PSU, its just sitting ontop of the CD-RW drive. I don't have a picture of it, the only thing i have to use as a camera is a screwed up blackberry pearl, but its USB port came loose a while back. I've got a friend who can remedy it, when he does I'll upload a picture.

This system is surprisingly good, I can run Half Life 2: Episode 2 at near max settings @ 800x600, low resolution but man it looks great. I'll upload a screenshot of that if people want to see.

Keep in mind, this is just my backup rig, my primary is another story, not great at the moment, but good. Well, soon to be primary, soon as my brother is content with me trading my laptop for it.

Scratch that, I found a picture of the rig I use to run at my fathers place, three 17" CRT's and a 19" CRT TV. Photobucket finally let me in.

That keyboard was sad, it was a temporary piece of junk I found before I got my logitech keyboard. The far right monitor and TV where on the MX4000, the Dell and Gateway monitors where on my 7600 GT.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:40:26 AM by Dead Reckon »