Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing new hard drive  (Read 1835 times)

wizefello

Topic Starter

Starter

installing new hard drive
    « on: November 18, 2009, 05:11:01 AM »
    Thank you for taking the time to read and reply !!!!!! I have two Compaq Presario laptops 1 is mine (bought new with operating cd's, xp home service pack 2) 2nd is an older model but most everything is the same as mine. hard drive in the 2nd computer was corrupted severely by some kind of virus or adware or something. Bought a NEW hard drive for it. Installed new hard drive,,, booted from operating disk,,,,process said loading all these files, then setting up windows. Then asked what I wanted to do,,,,,,, setup windows or repair,,,,,I clicked setup windows and then a new message appeared that there is no hard drive installed on computer and setup could not finish the installation. So I rebooted the computer,,,, got into the bios and ran a computer hard drive self test. After about an hour it said at the completion of the test that the hard drive passed. What do I need to do to get this new hard drive to work in this computer?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: installing new hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:49:53 AM »
    First of all, if you were asked if you want to install or repair the hd is NOT blank. There is either an existing OS or at least the beginning of an OS install on the drive. Second, you may need to download SATA drivers for your hd.

wizefello

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:42:38 AM »
      OK thank you so far,,,,,, how can I download the sata drivers and install them on the computer,,,,,burn to a cd and boot from that?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
      I think it's trying to find the hidden restore partition which does not exist on the new hard drive.  The CD you are using is not a full Windows installation disk.