Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: confusing problems (PhysX, Windows Installer)  (Read 5582 times)

sammit

confusing problems (PhysX, Windows Installer)
« on: November 22, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
So I'm trying to do something simple (run a PC game) but can't seem to narrow down exactly what the problem keeping me from running it is.

I'm running Windows XP with a Geforce 7900 GTX, specs well above what I need. I recently purchased the game Dragon Age Origins, and after installing with no error messages and trying to run the game I get the message, "This application has failed to start because PhysXLoader.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." After googling this problem I saw that others seemed to have the same problems but none of their solutions helped me (including things like updating my graphics drivers and reinstalling in various ways, etc)

On the game installation disc there is a software folder containing the PhysX installer exe, and on running this by itself I get the error message, "Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help." Downloading the latest physx release from the NVidia website gives the same message. This makes me think that maybe when installing the game, the physx installation runs and "fails" in the background but it doesn't say anything? I'm also a little confused because the NVIDIA PhysX site doesn't list my graphics card as supporting PhysX, but it seems like I need PhysX to run the game, even though the game requirements say my graphics card is fine.

So I googled that error message too. I tried using Microsoft support pages to rename all my MSI files in the command prompt then installing the newest version of Microsoft Installer, and nothing seems to have changed. When I download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and try to run it, I get the error message, "Command line option syntax error. Type Command /? for Help." Again, after googling this message I still can't seem to figure out why exactly I'm getting this message.

It just seems like trying to fix each problem leads to another subsequent problem. Am I missing something simple here (hopefully)? Thanks in advance! :)