Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Hope forum issue  (Read 3917 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Computer Hope forum issue
« on: June 08, 2004, 05:31:40 AM »
Computer Hope exceeded its allocated disk space this weekend causing numerous problems throughout our page. One of the biggest issues was of course the Computer Hope forum. When we exceeded our limit the script we use for our forums begin resetting the values causing the forum to appear to be lost. Although users were still able to still use the forums users creating new messages were at the same time causing the boards become blank. We were able to quickly and easily restore all the Members however some member’s profiles appear to have been lost.

Our biggest issue was the boards becoming blank. Unfortunately the script we use for the boards does not keep track of what message belongs to which board. Although no message was deleted (to our knowledge) the messages could not be restored back to their original location automatically. We have manually gone through close to 2,000 posts and moved them to the board we believed they belong to but still have several hundred more messages to manually move. While we are doing this all old messages that have not yet been moved are being stored in the “Other” board.

I can’t log in.
If you are no longer able to log into the Computer Hope forum please e-mail our webmasters at [email protected] with your username and e-mail address and we will work with you in getting your account restored.

My stats have been lost
If your stats have been erased (set to 0) please e-mail our webmasters at [email protected] with your username, e-mail address, and the number of posts you believe you have contributed.

My post has been lost
It’s likely that your post is not lost but located in a different board because of us having to manually go through each post and place them into a board we thought was appropriate. If you would like your post moved to an alternate location please e-mail our webmasters at [email protected]. Unfortunately if some how your post was erased we have no way of recovering the message and request you re-post the message.

We discovered this issue early Monday morning and after determining the cause of the problem and working out what had to be done moved the Computer Hope forum into maintenance mode about 1:30PM (MST) and brought the forum back up at 5:30AM (MST).

We apologize for any inconvenience and will work very hard to make sure it does not occur again.

-Computer Hope
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Joleen

Re: Computer Hope forum issue
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 11:10:54 AM »
Great job getting things up and running so quick.  It was hard having to work all day instead of checking on new posts but I made it through.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 02:43:20 PM »
DL65 Is your account working and/or have you sent the webmasters an e-mail address. Dont want you to loose your account.  :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 02:55:31 PM »
Hi .......No its not working as of yet and yes I have sent a E mail ( it's a pain to have to be nameless ....LOL )

Cheers dl65  ???

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 05:15:54 PM »
 :o DL65, Unfortunately I was not able to locate your message. I sure hope that the webmaster messages are not getting caught in SPAM filter. Could you please send a e-mail again. I have setup a clause that no [email protected] will get caught in the SPAM filter.

Thanks again for your patience.
-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 05:18:29 PM »
If any other user has sent a message to the webmasters and have not received a reply please send your message again.
-Albert Einstein

Guest (dl65)

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 06:02:07 PM »
Computer Hope Admin.....

I just set another E mail .......to the webmaster.........

Cheers ,

dl65  ???

laura127

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 02:31:41 AM »
Great job getting things up and running so quick.  It was hard having to work all day instead of checking on new posts but I made it through.

Yes, i 2nd this. Well done on getting everything up and running again so quick!