Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE8 very slow to start  (Read 3800 times)

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

IE8 very slow to start
    « on: November 30, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »
    Can anyone explain why IE8 takes 45/55 seconds to start, then a further 45 secs to open my MSN Email? I've recently installed Win7, & also Firefox which starts up quickly ( to check the difference between startup speeds). When I first started with Win 7 all was well it just became slower, then I read somewhere to update Java, which I did & that cured the problem-until the next day when it reverted back. I thought about renistalling IE8 (which I prefer to Firefox) but do not know how to. Any advice would be appreciated. One other point that may be of interest, each time I log onto your site I get a warning from Kaspersky saying 'A heur virus has been denied' can this have any bearing on things here? Many Thanks. Alex
    Finding a grub in your apple, is not as bad as finding half a grub in..........

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: IE8 very slow to start
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
    Close IE.
    Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same thing?

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »
      I did as you suggested & it opened immediately. Tried then from taskbar & slow again. Does this info help?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:03 PM »
      That means, some of IE add-ons is playing games with you.
      In IE, go Tools>Manage Add-ons.
      Disable all of them.
      Restart IE.
      If it opens quickly, you can start enabling add-ons, but one-by-one, each time restarting IE, until you find the culprit.

Main suspects - toolbars.

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
        Ok Will do. Matters are getting worse now...Dire in fact...Each time I log on to your (excellent BTW) site Kaspersky puts up a warning, then if I try to open any page I get a notification that says 'Acces denied, http;www.computerhope.com/tis/tip107.htm. The requested  object is infected with the following virus;Heur;trojanscriptIframe. I'm begining to panic now! I know I'm going off topic now but as you can see I feel I have a serious prob here, and am at a loss as to what to do. I did a scan, went to 'results' & got a BSoD! I thought a purchased AV prog was supposed to stop all this stuff. Am I wrong?? Please help. Alex

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:53:18 PM »
        You apparently have a malware problem. I'd go to the malware forum and follow the instructions in the announcement at the top of that forum.

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:02:05 PM »
          Thanks a lot Allan for your answer. Unfortunately I am but a mere mortal, and thus am unable to even start to follow the instructions you gave re Malware removal post. It looks extremley complicated,'Teatimer' & 'Bot' mean two entirely different things to me than poss to you (me  being from Good Ole Blighty- you prob. being somewhat of 'Colonial extraction?')  So I decided to enlist the help of my 9 yr old granddaughter if she agrees to help. My solution would be to re-install Win 7, but would this work? It really would be easier for me to go down this road. But I have to ask 'If I do this will the malware be deleted from my HDD, or will it return? I anticipate you veiws. Alex

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »
          If you prefer to format and reinstall the OS rather than follow instructions to remove the malware that is certainly your choice. As long as you do format before reinstalling the OS you should be fine.