Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet options , advanced tab (DEP)  (Read 10386 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    internet options , advanced tab (DEP)
    « on: December 14, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »
    The setting for "enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks" is ticked but is greyed out
    This is on my standard account.

So i take it, this setting is enabled by default,on my admin account  which up until now i thought it was disabled by default.
    So i said to myself if it is supposed to be disabled by default, why is it on.
    I know what this setting does, and sounds to me that it should be enabled, but are there any issues why people turn it of.... 8)
    windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: internet options , advanced tab (DEP)
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
    I completely disable DEP on all systems. But that's me.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »
      I completely disable DEP on all systems. But that's me.

Hi Allan

I know that it could slow down your internet browsing,  but thats about all i know.
      I have done a quick search and found that quite alot of people have it switched of, but i don't know any reasons why yet.
      without going into to much detail or a long conversation, can you give me some reasons why people don't use it
      windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »
      Hi Carl,
      When DEP was first introduced with XP it frequently interfered with legitimate apps. I always make sure that all of my systems are well protected with a top AV that is always up to date, either MalwareBytes or SuperAntispyware scans, and SpywareBlaster. I'm vigilant and aware when it comes to system protection and consider myself a very knowledgeable user. Accordingly I keep UAC on quiet mode and disable DEP. As long as your system is well protected and you are conscientious about keeping it that way, it's my opinion DEP is superfluous. I do not suggest that others disable UAC or DEP, but I don't discourage it for knowledgeable users either. It's completely your call. Personally I think DEP is great for novices and overkill for others.

BTW, since I haven't used DEP for at least 5 years I don't know if MS has done anything to improve its tolerance of apps that may not be as well written as they should be.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:23:16 AM »
        Hi Carl,
        When DEP was first introduced with XP it frequently interfered with legitimate apps. I always make sure that all of my systems are well protected with a top AV that is always up to date, either MalwareBytes or SuperAntispyware scans, and SpywareBlaster. I'm vigilant and aware when it comes to system protection and consider myself a very knowledgeable user. Accordingly I keep UAC on quiet mode and disable DEP. As long as your system is well protected and you are conscientious about keeping it that way, it's my opinion DEP is superfluous. I do not suggest that others disable UAC or DEP, but I don't discourage it for knowledgeable users either. It's completely your call. Personally I think DEP is great for novices and overkill for others.

BTW, since I haven't used DEP for at least 5 years I don't know if MS has done anything to improve its tolerance of apps that may not be as well written as they should be.

Interesting
        Nicely put allan, thanks for the quick explanation.

I might consider turning it of myself, i am well conscientious, and aware of what sites i visit, plus i do regular scans with malwarebytes, and avast .
        You mention  " i keep UAC on quite mode "  can you tell me what quite mode is, sounds a bit like a registry tweak.

I am so used to my standard account, i don't bother much with the admin account, i just normally put up with the prompts, but i am not sure how quite mode works on a standard account, sound interesting though.. :)

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:29:55 AM »
        Here's an explanation along with a link for tweakuac, a nice little utility that permits you to change uac settings on the fly: http://www.tweak-uac.com/uac-quiet-mode/

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
          « Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »
          Here's an explanation along with a link for tweakuac, a nice little utility that permits you to change uac settings on the fly: http://www.tweak-uac.com/uac-quiet-mode/

thats great allan, just downloaded tweakUAC.exe, if anyone else uses the computer i will turn UAC back on.
          Thanks for the link, i would never have known about this.. 8)

I also read how you would do this manually, is this what tweakUAC.exe does, change the values for you....
          Anyway you are right its a nice little utility

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »
          That's all any tweaking utility does - make the registry changes for you.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
            « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 01:39:28 PM »
            That's all any tweaking utility does - make the registry changes for you.

Hello again allan

When i do use my standard account, i am getting the UAC prompts,
            I don't know how to explain it properly, but here's a snapshot, but do i need to inheirit this to the user account

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 01:55:23 PM »
            I'm not sure I understand what you're asking Carl - and you really should not post your system username on a public forum. Are you saying you ran TweakUAC from within your account and you're still getting prompts? If so, try running it as admin and see if that helps.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
              « Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »
              I'm not sure I understand what you're asking Carl - and you really should not post your system username on a public forum. Are you saying you ran TweakUAC from within your account and you're still getting prompts? If so, try running it as admin and see if that helps.

Sorry about that, i had no idea how to explain it, when i do use the admin account which is the hidden admin account, which i would not get the prompts anyway, but i carn't get this to work on the standard account.
              Has this got anything to do with permissions

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »
              I don't think so. But just make the change manually:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
              “ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin”

and

“ConsentPromptBehaviorUser”

change the values to 0

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
                « Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
                I don't think so. But just make the change manually:

“ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin”

and

“ConsentPromptBehaviorUser”

change the values to 0

Hello allan

Yes tryed this allan,  when ever the UAC should pop up, i now get "this program is Blocked by group policy"  do i have group policy on home premium

2gb ram/32 bit/

Allan

• Mastermind

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
                  « Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »
                  http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=129347

Sorry allan , i am a little confused,  does that link work for vista home premium also

2gb ram/32 bit/