Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Check your tires  (Read 6843 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Check your tires
« on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »
Since Holiday Season means extra driving for some of us I thought I'd make a suggestion to help keep you a little safer....

I tend to check the tire pressure on my cars every couple of weeks. Two or three weeks ago the temperature here was in the mid 50's. Now it's in the mid 20's. When I checked the tires a few days ago they were 5 pounds low - all due to the change in temperature. Guys, five pounds is HUGE - especially in poor weather. The difference in traction between a properly inflated tire and a 5 pound under inflated tire is significant. Do yourselves and your families a favor this Holiday - before piling everyone in the car and heading out to celebrate, check the tires.

Be safe, and have a great Holiday.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Check your tires
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »
The difference in traction between a properly inflated tire and a 5 pound under inflated tire is significant.
Not only that, it wears out tires faster and has a negative impact on fuel economy.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »
an under-inflated tire has better grip; but only in sand and deeper snow (you'll hardly ever actually drive in snow deep enough to make it worth it, unless you purposely go off-road or something). Also, under-inflation can damage the sidewalls and makes the tires wear out faster, and as Soybean stated, it reduces fuel economy.

There is one thing though- Tire pressure is supposed to be measured at room temperature; your not supposed to add air in cold weather and remove it in warm weather; your supposed to fill it to the proper pressure at room temperature, and that's it. If you fill it to the specified pressure in cold weather, your really over inflating the tire; if you do the same in warm weather, your under inflating it.

And Now I can only ask the question of how the heck I can even pretend to know what I'm talking about in the domain fo freaking car tires.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:21:28 AM »
Nitrogen filled tires improve fuel efficiency: fact proven by experience.
Where's MagicSpeed?
Quote from: 'matt'
He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »
Nitrogen filled tires improve fuel efficiency: fact proven by experience.

That doesn't even make any sense. Nitrogen is 1/15th lighter then oxygen, but also consists of over 80% of the atmosphere (or thereabouts) so your really only getting 1/15/20, or a 1/300 "boost" in any sort of efficiency, on average (there is of course a little carbon dioxide and argon and so forth in the atmosphere too, with varying weights).

Now if you mean Helium... maybe.

Now, Hydrogen... that's the way to stay safe! heck, you'll probably avoid driving altogether. Fill the tires up with hydrogen and make sure to get the Led Zeppelin III album cover silk-screened onto your driver-side door and you probably won't drive all winter at all!

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »
your not supposed to add air in cold weather and remove it in warm weather;
On the contrary. Tires should be kept at the recommended pressure at ambient temperature. You should not check your tires when they are hot (immediately after driving), but other than that the surrounding temperature is irrelevant. Do you think tire manufacturers only inflate tires at one specific temperature?

Let's not turn this into Neowin and argue against obvious facts, shall we? Correct tire pressure should be maintained by the user and checked regularly when outside temperature varies (and even when it doesn't, for that matter).

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
On the contrary. Tires should be kept at the recommended pressure at ambient temperature. You should not check your tires when they are hot (immediately after driving), but other than that the surrounding temperature is irrelevant. Do you think tire manufacturers only inflate tires at one specific temperature?

Let's not turn this into Neowin and argue against obvious facts, shall we? Correct tire pressure should be maintained by the user and checked regularly when outside temperature varies (and even when it doesn't, for that matter).

No no- see, when they define the standard tire pressure for the tire, they aren't saying "X PSI for <all temperatures> but are rather defining what the tire pressure should be at a industry standard temperature; this is, in fact, the way many other things work. Basically, what I'm saying is that a leading cause of such issues is that the tire is originally inflated, in, say hot conditions, say 40(c), to- say, 28PSI, which is shown on the sidewall. Great- that's where it's supposed to be.

Except that when the temp drops in winter to -20, the tire pressure drops to maybe 25 PSI. (probably more) basically, what I mean is inflating it to the "proper" PSI in a non-standard temperature environment will exacerbate the pressure change when the temperature fluctuates. OF course, if you check it regularly, you'll be fine, and in the case of a cold-air inflate to a hot air inflate you'll probably be even better off, since the estimated 1psi per month loss will probably compensate for any perceived gain from the temperature increase.

Not that it really matters, you still should check it anyway and make sure the tire pressure is proper, no need to try using long complicated formulae to determine tire pressure when you can just check the *censored* thing as you've said.

Basically, what I'm saying is, that if the tire was filled to the appropriate PSI at the standard temperature (I'm not sure what that is, but any pressure-based metric has one) then the tires will be usable at most temperatures. they should be topped up, though. The issues arise when you fill the tire at a non-standard temperature and then the temperature flip-flops, it's far more likely you'll exit the manufacturers "safe, but you should *censored* well fill up your tire" pressure.

Since temperature is not the only variable anyway (air leeches out on it's own and so forth) it is of course imperative to check the pressure. And I wouldn't be caught dead trying to calculate what I need to fill my tire up to in -10 degree weather to equal the pressure at 21 degrees, because the optimal pressure at any temperature is still the one stated on the sidewall. My main point is that the manufacturer's "safe for driving" borders center around the recommended PSI only for the standard temperature. (which won't matter anyway since your supposed to be checking your tires anyway.)

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:49:27 AM »
Tires should be kept at the recommended pressure at ambient temperature.
Correct.  This means the tire pressure should be checked as seasons, and corresponding temperatures, change. I really don't check mine often enough; I tend to leave it to the guys at the shop where I go for rotation about every 6,000 miles (free service if tires were purchased there).  But, that time span can overlap some seasonal change in prevailing temperatures.  So, I should really do an occasional check myself between rotations.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »
BC - I really have no idea what you are talking about - but that happens a lot :)

Bottom line, the tire pressure should be checked regularly and should be kept at the recommended pressure. Period. If the recommended pressure is 32 psi then when it is -20 degrees you should fill the tire to 32 psi. When it's 80 degrees you should fill the tire to 32 psi. It's that simple.

BTW Soybean - I do not trust anyone to do my tires except me. I've gotten my car back from the dealership after they've rotated and checked and the pressure on each tire has been off by as much as 5 pounds - each one different!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
BC - I really have no idea what you are talking about - but that happens a lot :)

well, to summarize, I agree with you.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:17 AM »
 ::) LOL  ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »
Oh no! Somebody posted before I could finish this!
After reading this said over very carefully, here are some possible conclusions based on the serious nature of the subject.
First objective. Acquire , rent or purchase an extremely accurate tire pressure gauge that hasn't accuracy of better than 1 pound.
Second objective. Park your car in the garage and make sure you have roads underneath the tires. And heat the garage to room temperature. After several hours, when the tires are at room temperature, carefully check the pressure of each and every tire.
Third object. If the tire pressure is not exactly right, you need to acquire, rent or purchase a good quality air compressor with them a filtration system and carefully inflates the tires as needed to the proper pressure.

Now the remaining question is this: how much money will be saved in this process? Should we include the cost of heating the garage? And what about the cost of acquiring the needed equipment to carry out this operation.
Just curious.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 11:46:33 AM »
Not a question of money - it's a question of safety. And I agree - you should have a good, accurate tire gauge and an electric air compressor. Combined cost of these two items should be well under $100.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »
heat the garage to room temperature. After several hours, when the tires are at room temperature, carefully check the pressure of each and every tire.
Nope, that's not it.  You seem to have completely missed the point. Tire pressure should be checked at outdoor temperatures, or an unheated garage.