Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fee  (Read 7938 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fee
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »

The company behind the magicJack, the cheap Internet phone gadget that's been heavily promoted on TV, has made a new version of the device that allows free calls from cell phones in the home, in a fashion that's sure to draw protest from cellular carriers.

The new magicJack uses, without permission, radio frequencies for which cellular carriers have paid billions of dollars for exclusive licenses.

Link
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fee
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
A friend i have bought MagicJack 4 mos. ago...not only did it screw up her PC but in the meantime a few other things transpired :
1) Billed 54.99 to her credit card # at an advertised price of 19.99
2) Advertised you can keep your existing #...WRONG...that feature is "down the road"...
3)Advertised FREE calling within the Continental U.S....WRONG 4 states at best.
4) Money back guarantee...WRONG the opt out process is dysfunctional and i was never able to obtain an RMA for the return.

Eventually wound up contacting her Bank and disputing the charges...which is the only way you will get your money back from these jerks...

Bottom line google MagicJack scam and you'll see some of the horror stories...

Buyer Beware.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »
Wow I should say, so strange that consumer reports would rate the product so well. Saw this mentioned on Nightlight the other night.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »
They are paying for their ratings...PCMag gave it an Editors Choice award for the Year...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »
Nope. You CANNOT buy off Consumer Reports. They may be the last vestige of completely honest and unbiased reviews. They don't even accept advertising.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:35:55 PM »
I'm just illustrating what happened firsthand...
In my mind...it's a scam.
Nothing more...nothing less.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:46:16 PM »
Not arguing with you. Just defending Consumer Reports since they haven't joined the forum yet and aren't here to defend themselves - but I will PM them ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »
I look forward to them signing up...matter of fact i'm suprised they're not here yet...

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »
Well, I've had them on an exclusive arrangement at tweaks, but that agreement is about to run out.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
    As one contemplating a purchase of this device as is my wont i have done considerable investigation (even joined their unofficial forum). I do concur that this product has some issues--mainly in the tech support area. However being personally in touch with a new user my impression is that for some (perhaps the greater majority) if no problems are encountered the experience has been extremely satisfactory. One thing i would add in the system requirements area is that there is no mention in the manufacturers info or from any reseller as to what seems to be a prevailing opinion from users on the forum is that a minimum of 512 MB of ram is needed for the device to give quality communications. Whenever i can purchase a laptop with the required O/S and the reccommended RAM i do intend to buy one. Disclaimer: I have no indirect or direct association with the company or any of it's agents. truenorth

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 10:26:17 PM »
    I'm surprised to hear about the bad experiences mentioned here.  My son has been using MagicJack for at least a few months.  I haven't heard any complaints but I'll ask him about it. I know he sometimes uses it to call me.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:20:01 AM »
      I recently learned some interesting info re Magicjack. One of the few bricks and mortar stores offering this product for sale in Canada was "The Source" . Sometime after this past Christmas their stores were bought and now operated by Bell Canada ( a major player in Canada's telephone industry). According to store sales staff one of the 1st orders emanating from Bell was to remove all Magicjacks from their shelves. They obviously would be a potential loser of clients using their long distance services if this product was indeed viable.
        I suggest the fact that they immediately ceased to sell it speaks to the credibility of the product. truenorth

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 09:00:50 AM »
      Wow I should say, so strange that consumer reports would rate the product so well. Saw this mentioned on Nightlight the other night.
      This review seems to be about the original MagicJack device.  I don't believe it has anything to do with cell phones, wihch you mention in your OP; I gather that's a new MagicJack device designed to work with cell phones.

The company behind the magicJack, the cheap Internet phone gadget that's been heavily promoted on TV, has made a new version of the device that allows free calls from cell phones in the home, in a fashion that's sure to draw protest from cellular carriers.

The new magicJack uses, without permission, radio frequencies for which cellular carriers have paid billions of dollars for exclusive licenses.

Link
      The link appears to be invalid.

Wow I should say, so strange that consumer reports would rate the product so well.
      I noticed that article says: "... it's a great deal. Vonage VoIP service can cost $216 a year; Skype, $95, and you must buy a Skype phone."  You need a Skype phone to use Skype?  I believe that's not true.  All  you need is a headphone set to connect to your computer. 

I sometimes use Yahoo! Messenger for PC-to-phone calls.

Juice217

Beginner

• I hope you don't hate your computer as much as me.
        « Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 07:21:39 AM »
        A friend i have bought MagicJack 4 mos. ago...not only did it screw up her PC but in the meantime a few other things transpired :
        1) Billed 54.99 to her credit card # at an advertised price of 19.99
        2) Advertised you can keep your existing #...WRONG...that feature is "down the road"...
        3)Advertised FREE calling within the Continental U.S....WRONG 4 states at best.
        4) Money back guarantee...WRONG the opt out process is dysfunctional and i was never able to obtain an RMA for the return.

Eventually wound up contacting her Bank and disputing the charges...which is the only way you will get your money back from these jerks...

Bottom line google MagicJack scam and you'll see some of the horror stories...

Buyer Beware.

that's the beauty of advertisement, that is practically a piece of -blam!-, they also may of added super small text on the bottom of the advertisement

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 09:22:37 AM »
        super small text on the bottom of the advertisement
        Pretty much all advertisements have that, because what they're saying is not either the truth, the whole truth, or nothing but the truth. You should see the amount of fine print on car commercials.
        Where's MagicSpeed?
        Quote from: 'matt'
        He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
          Or Bank customer "agreements".

cintari

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 05:35:40 AM »
          They are paying for their ratings...PCMag gave it an Editors Choice award for the Year...
          Well, I know who's ratings I wont be relying on anymore.