Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: x64 OS over x32?  (Read 4341 times)

teezy4life

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Blah.
    x64 OS over x32?
    « on: January 19, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
    I have a 32-bit installation of Windows Vista on my laptop, and I was considering either installing Windows 7 over it or dual-booting.
    But my question is, is it a good idea to install a 64-bit edition of Windows over a 32-bit edition? Or does it like not matter about what "bit" it is?
    Some iTunes library huh?

EEVIAC

Re: x64 OS over x32?
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »
    64-bit Operating systems will generally run more efficient because the cpu is executing twice as much code/time given,  as opposed to a 32-bit OS, and it handles larger amounts of ram memory..

However, if you're going to upgrade to 64 bit OS, you have to consider that there is not full support for 64 bit Operating Systems in general...  64 bit Operating systems mean you need 64 bit drivers, and 64 bit applications to get the full effect.  Most 32 bit applications are backward-compatible in a 64 bit environment

More info.

here.

teezy4life

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Blah.
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
      Well yeah besides the fact that there are some lacking capabilities with the 64-bit edition; I learned that a while ago, and thanks for the reminder btw haha
      I was just curious as to whether it was possible to install the 64bit over the 32bit... I thought it was hardware related; meaning, I thought x32/86 and x64 were processors and only x32/86 OSes could only be installed on x32/86 systems, and the same for x64. Guess I thought wrong.
      So anyways, it's okay if I install Win7 x64 over my Vista x32/86?
      Some iTunes library huh?

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »
      If you have a 32-bit processor that uses an EM64T instruction set, then you can install a 64 bit OS...  Without EM64T you cannot do it...

For example.. I've got a Pent. 4   641 which is a 32 bit processor, but it has EM64T technology built in.  I dual-booted my Vista Business 32 bit version with the 64-bit version using the same cpu..

What cpu are you using?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 02:14:16 AM »
      you cannot install a x64 version over top of a 32-bit version. you must do a clean install.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

teezy4life

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Blah.
        « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:24:21 AM »
        you cannot install a x64 version over top of a 32-bit version. you must do a clean install.

I know that much lol.
        Some iTunes library huh?

teezy4life

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Blah.
          « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 07:24:42 AM »
          If you have a 32-bit processor that uses an EM64T instruction set, then you can install a 64 bit OS...  Without EM64T you cannot do it...

For example.. I've got a Pent. 4   641 which is a 32 bit processor, but it has EM64T technology built in.  I dual-booted my Vista Business 32 bit version with the 64-bit version using the same cpu..

What cpu are you using?
          Okay... How would I determine that?
          Some iTunes library huh?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 07:27:44 AM »
          I know that much lol.

then why this:

is it a good idea to install a 64-bit edition of Windows over a 32-bit edition?

Why ask if you know it's not possible in the first place? If you do a clean install, your not Installing it over top of the previous version.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »
          Download CPU-Z here.  Install it, run it.  Look on the CPU tab after you have run it, where it says, "Instructions."

Look directly to the right of where it says "instructions".  If you see "EM64T" in the instructions set list, then you're cpu has that technology, if you don't see it...then tough luck I guess

teezy4life

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Blah.
            « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
            Gotcha. I got ahold of a x86 disc, anyways.
            Some iTunes library huh?