Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wifi- not working anymore  (Read 3096 times)

yoshimanssbm

wifi- not working anymore
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:17 AM »
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire 5610z and right now it has windows xp and ubuntu linux duel booted on it.

Well, on Thursday my wifi was working perfectly(4 or 5 bars running really fast) and now I can maybe connect to it for about a min with none or one bar. My wifi is provided by my university. The wifi I use disappears and reappears randomly. I have never had any trouble with the connection until now and it had always downloaded about 1 or 2 Mb per/sec.

What I have tried:
     I have updated the drivers.
     uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.
     System restore.

I have talked with some other students and they said theirs was perfectly fine, so there is something wrong with my computer. My wifi adapter is working because its able to connect to other wifi connections, but the connection is always very low or no signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerly,

me

t_blake07

Apprentice
    Re: wifi- not working anymore
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:06:02 AM »
    You said you uninstalled and re-installed the drivers. Are they the most up to date drivers? I'd find out the manufacturer of the wifi adapter, (Device Management) go to their website, then download and install the most recent drivers. If you can't connect directly from your Acer you might have to use a friends PC and save the files to a flash drive and then transfer to your PC. Try this first and let us know how it goes.

I'm sorry, I just re-read your post and seen that you have updated your drivers. Did you get them from the manufacturer's website? (not Acer's)

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:45:53 AM »
    Restart the computer and tap F8 until you see Advanced Boot Options... Select Safe Mode with Networking

When you get to the desktop, click START, click Control Panel, double-click on "network connections"..  Right-click on the wireless adapter you see on the page and select "view available wireless networks"...  Select the wirelss network on your campus and see if you can get a good signal and maintain connectivity...

If this works, then there's probably a service, program or virus on your computer that we need to appropriate...

t_blake07

Apprentice
      « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:54:07 AM »
      Or his WiFi adapter is going bad due to heat from other components. Only saying this because it used to have a good signal. And because i've read about Aspire's WiFi going bad due to heat.