Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a way to check what the correct browser settings are suppose to be?  (Read 8154 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Trying to figure out what is suppose to be checked when I right click on IE and then click on Properties and Advanced.
It has the Settings
like for Accessibility, Browsing, Underline Links, Http 1.1 Settings, International, Microsoft VM, Multimedia, Printing, Security, and so on.

Especially with all the viruses, hacking etc.. just want to make sure we have everything set correct.
Also, one of the weird things we keep having problems with on both computers whenever using IE is that we keep losing the taskbar. Not sure what is causing that either. Seems to mostly happen when we click the login button it brings up another window and then that is when we lose everything. So, like is there some settings someplace to tell it to do the width and height or something? I seem to also see a page thing and tools buttons, zoom, not sure if that is something we need to change?
Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Okay, your post is a little confusing. First, in Internet Options - Privacy - Advanced - Settings - I'd suggest you accept first party & session cookies but should block 3rd party cookies. Other than that any changes are pretty much up to you. More important is your AV and Malware software. As for the other problems you are having, I don't really follow.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
We are trying to find a list of the correct settings for Internet Explorer.
We do not have what you are talking about.
When we right click on Internet Explorer, and then choose Properties, and then go to Advanced.
There is a big long list of categories, and we are trying to find out what is suppose to be checked under each of the categories.
Here are the categories we keep seeing.
Accessibility
Browsing
Underline Links
Http 1.1 settings
International
Microsoft VM
Multimedia
Printing
Search from the address bar
Security

We don't understand what all needs to be checked and not checked. Don't understand what alot of it means.
Under browsing section some of the things we have checked is Disable script debugging(IE),
Disable script debugging(other), Enable FTP Folder View, Enable Page transitions,
Theres others checked too, but hopefully this will help to understand what we are talking about.

With all the problems we have had from the viruses and spyware and people hacking us.
We just want to make sure the settings are all correct and we don't know what they are suppose to even be.

Sorry about any confusion.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Tools - Internet Options  - Advanced - Reset

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Under browsing section some of the things we have checked is Disable script debugging(IE),
Disable script debugging(other), Enable FTP Folder View, Enable Page transitions,
Theres others checked too, but hopefully this will help to understand what we are talking about.
You don't need to worry about these.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
there are no "Correct" and "incorrect" settings. If that was the case they wouldn't be user-changable to begin with.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
We have no idea what half of this stuff even means.
Whenever we try things on our own, we always mess it up worse.
This is why we are trying to find out, is there a site or somewhere that shows the setup instructions of what needs to be marked and not marked?
Or can we just go through and check everything?
One of the settings in here it says:
Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)
What will happen if we do or don't have this marked?
Also, this one here we don't understand either.
Http 1.1 settings:
Use http 1.1
Use http 1.1 through proxy connections

So, many others too we don't understand. If this isn't the correct place to go for this kind of help, is ok. Please let us know though so we can try and find someone who can help with this.
Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
We have no idea what half of this stuff even means.
Whenever we try things on our own, we always mess it up worse.
This is why we are trying to find out, is there a site or somewhere that shows the setup instructions of what needs to be marked and not marked?
Or can we just go through and check everything?
One of the settings in here it says:
Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)
What will happen if we do or don't have this marked?
Also, this one here we don't understand either.
Http 1.1 settings:
Use http 1.1
Use http 1.1 through proxy connections

So, many others too we don't understand. If this isn't the correct place to go for this kind of help, is ok. Please let us know though so we can try and find someone who can help with this.
Thanks

leave them all alone.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
Sorry, what exactly do you mean when you say leave them all alone?
Do you mean to uncheck them?
or is there a setting somewhere that is suppose to say leave them all alone?

I use to understand this stuff better, but don't anymore since my health isn't doing good anymore. Caused me to forget so much in life.
My mom doesn't understand any of it.

So, we are guessing there is no sites to go to that will just list all the things that are suppose to have checks by them?
Since we keep getting hacked. Maybe this is why we keep getting hacked, because the hacker has changed some of these settings.
We don't even know the password to our router anymore. They changed that.
That is why we would just like to go to a site and look at what the settings are suppose to be. It would be easier for us to understand and do it this way.
It just seems for everything out there- software, and other devices there are certain settings that need to be correct for things to work properly.
At least some things come with a manual on how to set things up. But if you don't have or missing certain things or a site that tells these things it seems now a days too. For our Internet Settings we have to go to a website to do them. But then if something goes wrong and you can't get online, if you mess something up by screwing with the settings, and then can't get online anymore to figure out what you messed up.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
You can choose Reset at the bottom as Allan already suggested. (A good thing to do if you have been messing with the check marks.)
Choose medium or higher setting on your privacy tab.
Keep an updated antivirus and firewall running.
Run Superantispyware and Malwarebytes weekly or bi-weekly.

t_blake07

Apprentice
    AmyR7,

You seem to have very bad luck, with all the viruses and hacking, don't you? When you obtained possession of this laptop, was it used, or did you buy it brand new?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Sorry, what exactly do you mean when you say leave them all alone?
    Do you mean to uncheck them?
    or is there a setting somewhere that is suppose to say leave them all alone?
    It means don't check them and don't uncheck them. Leave them the way they are now.

Reset Internet Explorer

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Hi Everyone!!
      • Funtrivia
    After reading this, maybe this is what is causing our passwords to not work anymore.
    If we hit reset, one of the things we see on that page that it resets is Passwords.
    We just got alot of this straightened out with sites we use that got messed up.
    Couldn't log into things, and also my mom's information got into my accounts too.
    One of the sites I use, it had the wrong email address in for my account, and it almost caused me to have to get a totally new email address too(which would be just another account to keep up with the information for), because of when I was trying to put in the correct one, it kept telling me it was invalid even though it is not invalid.
    That is a big reason we do not want to hit reset, unless absolutely necessary. The last time we did this, we ended up having to call a repairman out, because of being locked out of the computer. And he broke other things such as the scanner and printer, and we don't want to have to have this happen again.

Both mine and mom's computers are desktops, Dell, and both brand new. The very first time my computer got hacked was years ago when having to get AIM for an online computer class that I had just signed up for. Something called an 'MBKWBar toolbar' came through and put itself in IE and broke it. On my mom's computer with her IE, hers has been broken for awhile too, everytime we opened it, we would get taken to sites automatically.
    My computer had Mozilla, but had to get rid of it due to problems of it being hacked and everytime we open it, it would cause everything to become distorted. My mom's computer still has Mozilla, but is now seeming to fail.  Certain websites we use do not work properly with Mozilla.

Just got the newest version of IE on both computers, and seems to maybe be working except for a few things, such as things not displaying properly, and looking at these things, looks like maybe that is something checked wrong that is causing it. But we don't understand what some of these things mean.
    Some of the things talks about Zooming, text, all that stuff. Sounds like something there, but we don't understand all that stuff. We have the same problems not just with our computer but with this stuff on all electronics we have(if you remember about all that DVD stuff) and things not displaying properly when we try and watch tv. 
    So, with all the problems we have been through and looks like we are getting closer to things working better.
    Yes, we are going to just leave things the way they are now, but are scared to since people have been hacking us. They may have marked something that they know would cause worse problems.
    Is why we just are looking for a list of the things that they recommend to have checked.

Also, yes, both computers are loaded with protection. All the things that cruisin702 mentioned we have. Plus a bunch of other things too my brother-in-law who knows more on computers than we do, put on our computers. Since my brother-in-law lives a good bit away and of course due to work and all, not sure when he would be able to come over again. Which yeah, we could email him and ask for a site that has what needs to be checked if you all don't know of a site?

Just trying to understand how to use everything.
    The other day though not sure if we got hit or what. Maybe the stuff helped, because yes, we did get taken to another site automatically while logged into account on this one site we use, that everyone else who uses the site was taken to other sites too, and some people had even worse things happening to them. Which with us, the only thing that happened was this message that was on the screen is making us think maybe all this protection we have is helping because it said something about the site was blocked.
    Here is the exact message:
    "Reported Attack Site!
    This web site at sweetlemongrass.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
    Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
    Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners."

So, does that sound like the protection is working?

t_blake07

Apprentice
      It sounds like it protected you from that one website.

The reason I asked if the PC's were new or used, is because if they were new, which they are, the list of settings should be the way you would want them to be. From the sound of it, you've already been infected before though, and it resulted in those settings being changed.

I would reset the settings back to default, run your virus/spyware/malware programs, and leave it all alone. If any threats are brought to your attention, then you should take the appropriate actions.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      From the sound of it, you've already been infected before though, and it resulted in those settings being changed.
      Half correct. 
      So, then after we had hit reset, we have messed all this stuff up.
      We are having problems getting the settings back to what they should be.
      It reset all our accounts doing this. We are still having problems getting them straightened out. So, then we lose them, or they charge us again for a new account and can't close the old one because of things getting all messed up and getting the wrong information in, such as for some of my accounts seem to have my mom's details in them or other ways around. Classmates charged us again due to this.
      So, don't want to hit it again and then have to get them fixed again.
      So, that is why we are looking for a list of what is suppose to be marked and not marked.