Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: email "To" and "Subject" lines  (Read 2388 times)

pinwill

email "To" and "Subject" lines
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:37:39 AM »
I'm using Windows 7, Outlook 2003, and I.E.8  and Firefox
My wife's web site has an email link that auto inserts predefined "Subject" content depending on which link is used.  When I click on a link, a new blank email pops up as usual but instead of the subject being in the "Subject" line, it's inserted into the "To" line (as "?subject=blabla") right behind the recipient's address.  Trying to send the email then results in a failure.  Using another computer with Outlook Express installed works properly.
I then checked other web sites and encounter the same problem.  I've searched everywhere in Outlook for a setting to change but have found nothing that resolves the problem.  I tried running Outlook in compatibility mode but then I can't even get a blank email to come up.
I've posted the question in an Outlook Forum and a Windows 7 forum but have received no answers.  I'm hoping for better luck here!  Thanks

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: email "To" and "Subject" lines
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:30:40 PM »
    That sounds more like a website problem than an Outlook problem.

The website's HTML/PHP/ASP/whatever code needs to be written to detect Outlook 2003 (and, while you're at it, 2007 and 2010) and insert the fields in the right spots.

You might as well include Outlook Express 6, Vista's Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, and Mozilla Thunderbird as well.
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.