Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive  (Read 1698 times)

jinxhacker

Topic Starter

External Hard Drive
    « on: February 05, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
    So I have a Seagate 1tb external hard drive and it has a partition that I made into a  boot-able dvd drive thru cmd but I dont know how to turn it back.

Also Ive tried googleing a way to boot and install a os from a external hard drive so anyone of these would be helpful. I have a computer that has no dvd drive and Im trying to be cheap and not have to buy one.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External Hard Drive
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
    Hello.
    Welcome to the computer Hope for foreign. Here you will find a friendly community that will answer your questions for you without commercial interest.

External drives are a great idea for backup. That is how they should be used. If you need another bootable device, it would be a good idea to try a bootable USB flash drive instead of using your external hard drive.
    Of course, you can backup your operating system to the external drive. And then you would need to have a suitable boot DVD that would put up a recovery program that would read from your external hard drive and restore your system. But didn't your Seagate external drive come with software that does an?

As a general rule, the Microsoft operating system is not licensed for use on removable media. However, Microsoft does allow a special  boot CD  called a PE disc. Would you like to know more about that?

jinxhacker

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
      yes I would and thank you.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:54 PM »
      Good! Here a recent topic on this subject. I have been wanting to do this myself, just never got around to it. The discussion is has many authors and questions.
      Topic: How to create a Windows PE boot disc
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=87312.0