Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound on my Windoxs XP??  (Read 5588 times)

madcaddies

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: No sound on my Windoxs XP??
    « Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 07:16:46 AM »
    i had almost the same problem with my older workstation running on XP. The sound comes up again after mute-unmuting the sound icon in systray. It was a little troublesome after doing lots of tweaking. I did a fix with a USB sound card, disabled the onboard sound via bios. Now the machine uses the USB sound card and it works fine up until now. This usb device is so cheap, under US$3.

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
      Hi

Is there a chance the sound could have gone from playing with the keyboard? My toddler sometimes can grab it and tap away, could she have done something?

I replaced the speakers thinking that was the problem....but it wasnt, Im going to have to do the repair install.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »
        Does the associated keyboard contain keys or  knobs that permit aspects of control for sound? Such as volume or mute. truenorth

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
          No... i thought a shortcut could have been accidentally pressed or something?

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
            i had almost the same problem with my older workstation running on XP. The sound comes up again after mute-unmuting the sound icon in systray. It was a little troublesome after doing lots of tweaking. I did a fix with a USB sound card, disabled the onboard sound via bios. Now the machine uses the USB sound card and it works fine up until now. This usb device is so cheap, under US$3.

Thanks, i might try that after the install repair. A little worried about tweaking the bios though...?!

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
            On many computers, you can just press a key on the keyboard to enter boot device selection (on my current computer it is Esc, on HP laptops it is Esc then choose boot menu, on BenQs it is f2 to enter boot menu, etc.)

In the event that your computer doesn't have such a function:
            http://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/change-boot-order-xp-vista/

Its not too difficult, and nothing will go wrong if you mess up the boot settings-you'll just keep booting to the selected device, your computer won't get corrupted or anything like tht.

The only thing I can think of to be careful about is to make sure you are changing the boot settings, though, not the hard drive master/slave settings-on some (old) BIOSes they look horribly similar and if you are in a rush, you will mess up.
            In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
            Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 03:15:53 AM »
              Just wanted to thank everyone for helping, not got my sound back, but thanks so much anyway!