Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound on my Windoxs XP??  (Read 5569 times)

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    No sound on my Windoxs XP??
    « on: August 09, 2011, 04:39:48 AM »
    Hi

I have not deleted or changed anything, the sound has just stopped working?

I have gone into my devices and deleted the sound/gamecontroller (sorry not exact name) as I've read about and rebooted the computer and it seemed to re-find them. But this has not worked?

What else can i try?

All connections are correct, all settings are correct (I've gone through them all, they are coorect as I'm aware)

Please help!

Thanks in advance

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: No sound on my Windoxs XP??
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:29:32 AM »
    Please go to Device manager (start>run>devmgmt.msc>click OK) and tell us if there are any yellow exclamation marks beside any hardware.

by sound/gamecontroller I take it to mean "sound, video, and game controller." if you deleted your sound card driver I am not surprised it doesn't work anymore... It would help if you elaborated on what you deleted-I doubt you made the entire sound, video, game controller tab vanish from Control Panel and posted a link to the webpage from which you got the directions on altering the settings of the mentioned tab.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
      No, no yellow exclamation marks.

I got the infomation from this site, it was from another post... and similar 'no sound' posts...

To elaborate; I went video/game controller '+' and opened each device and deleted each individual thing listed by going into their individual properties.. (Which im now regretting)

I unistalled 2/3 things (i foolishly cant remeber what), as they had the option to in their properties. The tabs and lists are all still there...

When i re-booted the pc seemed the install some of what i'd deleted?

I only did this after every other attempt to get sound I could think of.

Thanks for replying.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
      all I can think of is to Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices and tell us what you see...

Please tell us what make and models of graphics cards, sound cards, and game controllers you have. I'm thinking the graphics card has an integrated sound module, and when you deleted the video settings you messed up the sound driver.

On a second note, where are you getting the video/game controller dialog? Control Panel only has separate sound and game controller options, and I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted sound, "video, and game controllers."[/size]
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »
        In the previous instructions it just said delete 'sound/video/game controller' from the device manager folder... so i assumed that meant the whole thing... Oh no!

In the control panel;

There are no devices in the game controller folder

There are loads in the sounds and audio devices folder (all the ones {i think all} i deleted from the 'systems, device manager,componants, sound/video/game controller' folder...) Do you need me to list them?

The model of sound card is the 'Sound Blater Live! 24-bit', which is installed and in the settings.
        Where i found this info, there was also 'Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device', i dont know what that is though. I afraid I dont know where to get the graphics card details.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:36 AM »
        In the previous instructions it just said delete 'sound/video/game controller' from the device manager folder... so i assumed that meant the whole thing... Oh no!

In the control panel;

There are no devices in the game controller folder

There are loads in the sounds and audio devices folder (all the ones {i think all} i deleted from the 'systems, device manager,componants, sound/video/game controller' folder...) Do you need me to list them?

The model of sound card is the 'Sound Blater Live! 24-bit', which is installed and in the settings.
        Where i found this info, there was also 'Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device', i dont know what that is though. I afraid I dont know where to get the graphics card details.

Okay thanks-I do not need to know your graphics card details becuase I know it is a standalone sound card. All Modems on laptops include an audio driver for the dial tone-that is nothing to worry about.

You uninstalled all the drivers by "deleting" all the elements of the sound, video, and game controller tab in the device manager.

You can download your sound driver here:
        http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=206&prodID=10315&prodName=Live!%2024-bit&subCatName=Live!&CatName=Sound+Blaster

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »
          Thank you so much. I've had a look and Im sorry but it's not clear to me which I need to download. All of them?

I downloaded a couple, and it did say my windows didnt support it and I needed to download windows vista? If i download windows vista would this affect all my other programs?

sorry, im not the best with computers

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
            I don't know what site that you tried top obtain your drivers from as the one offered by transfusion continues to display an error when i use Opera to try and access it. However here is a site that offers the drivers http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=206&prodID=10315&prodName=Live!%2024-bit&subCatName=Live!&CatName=Sound+Blaster
            The one i believe you require is "7:12.00" about midway down. truenorth

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »
              Thanks. Its downloaded but i still dont have any sound?

Alos to verify, on the volume controls the options are either 'line in' off, or 'S/PDIF-In' off? Either off at the same time or either off with microphone?

Thanks

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
              Thanks. Its downloaded but i still dont have any sound?

Alos to verify, on the volume controls the options are either 'line in' off, or 'S/PDIF-In' off? Either off at the same time or either off with microphone?

Thanks
              Its downloaded, but have you installed it, just to make sure?
              both the line-in and s/pdif should be off for normal purposes.

On the windows master volume controls, is the "Wave" slider set to its max?

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
                Ok, have changed the volume settings now...and yes, i have installed it.

Still no sound though?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

I had to try and simulate your problem on a spare test rig-after I deleted those tabs(by right-clicking>properties>properties tab>hit remove for everything you see.
                I couldn't get sound to ever work again. I had to do a repair install with the windows setup disk to fix the problem, which was the most efficient way-manually replacing the lost files would have taken forever.

Are any tabs still present under sound, video, and game controllers?

wojuliette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 03:25:45 AM »
                  The tabs are there listed when I click on the + of the 'Sound, video and game controllers', but when i open their properties theres either nothing or only one or 2 things are listed?

Should I re-install the windows?

What will this do to the pc, wipe it clean of everything?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
                  I would try system restore first: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084
                  This article describes how to use the System Restore tool to return your computer to a previous state. System Restore takes "snapshots" of critical system files and some program files and registry settings and stores this information as restore points. If your computer is not functioning correctly, you can use these restore points to return Windows XP to a previous state when your computer was functioning correctly. It can also change scripts, batch files, and other kinds of executable files on your computer.

If that fails try going to Start>Run>cmd>Click OK and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotation marks. A description on what it does: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

If both of the above (and all else) fails, you will have to perform a repair install, which will not cause you to lose any existing data but which will mess your preferences up.
                  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

immental1200

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
                  There is also another possibility... the speakers have died? I have had this happen randomly to me !