Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Keyboard issues  (Read 3852 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    New Keyboard issues
    « on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:03 PM »
    With the help of your excellent pages on Keyboards (KBs) I have been finding my way around a new Caseflex Bluetooth  KB  configured for my Android tablet (my Windows 10 SSD is broken). However, I am having trouble with selecting a few keys, in particular the pound Sterling symbol and the Euro. The keys they are on also have 3 and #; and 2 and @ respectively.

Some of the keys are unfamiliar, partly because they are specifically for iOS but most are OK. It seems to be set up for UK English, eg.the @ and # keys are correct and not transposed with " and # as is the case with the US configuration. There are some of the Fn keys I have not yet found a use for.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to deal with this, please?

plodr

Beginner

Re: New Keyboard issues
      « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:24:41 PM »
      I'm not in the UK so it makes it harder to search for solutions.
      Until I do, here is a workaround for € which is nowhere on a US keyboard.
      Press and hold the ALT key and type the number 0128 to make a Euro symbol.

Workaround for £ which again is not on a US keyboard.
      Press and hold the ALT key and type the number 156 to me a British pound symbol.

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking.

Try ctrl + alt + 2 does that give the € ?
      Try ctrl + alt + 3 does that give the £ ?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:14:40 PM »
      Hold om. Here is a general reference for Apple, Android and Windows. Each system handles keyboard input a title different for special chars.

http://www.howtogeek.com/210824/how-to-quickly-type-special-characters-on-any-computer-smartphone-or-tablet/
      “Google Keyboard” app for Android works, anyway. Other keyboards should work similarly. Because Android offers support for more keyboards, you could install other keyboards from Google Play that are better suited to typing a wider variety of Unicode symbols.
      :D

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
        Thanks for the suggestions. None of the work arounds worked, they either produced nothing or the numbers. I will check out the article next. On my (now broken) Windows machine I eventually found I could get the pound by temporarly switching to a layout which was US Region / UK English which when mastered took less than a second. My earlier work around had been to copy/paste the symbol from the CharacterMap. Now with a KB that actually has the two keys there must surely be a way to use them?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
        On Windows 8 you can create a custom keyboard layout.
        Also, you can have two layouts loaded and switch between them.
        See:
        http://www.howtogeek.com/121169/how-to-change-your-keyboard-layout-in-windows-8/
        There is a small change to the Control Panel in Windows 8 and Windows 10 that involves splitting the Region and Language applet into two separate applets. This makes changing your keyboard layout a little more tricky than previous versions of Windows.
        That might help.  :)
        Also from the CH archives:
        http://www.computerhope.com/help/keyboard.htm