Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet browser vulnerabilities  (Read 3752 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Internet browser vulnerabilities
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:47:40 PM »
Thought I'd share this great page that contains an extensive list of comparisons in Internet browser vulnerabilities. Definitely worth a read and may help those who have not tried alternative browsers such as Firefox and Opera to consider it.

http://www.webdevout.net/browser-security
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Internet browser vulnerabilities
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:20:13 AM »
Ok.....what does it mean?

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »
    So if I'm reading that correctly Opera is the most secure of those 3.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »
    Excellent reading. Thank you ;D

That's why, I've never touched Internet Explorer.
    I wish it was a way to get rid of that thing off of my computer, but surely it's integrated with Windows, so I have to live with it.

In Europe, they keep fighting Micro$oft back. Successfully!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article2472555.ece

Microsoft loses appeal against £342m EU fine over software sharing

Microsoft was left reeling yesterday after a bruising defeat at the hands of European judges who upheld a record fine on the software giant for abusing its dominant market position to crush competition.

In a landmark ruling by the European Court of First Instance, regulators won a comprehensive victory in a nine-year battle with the American company to force it to share its secret software codes and sell its products separately rather than in packages.

Microsoft executives said that they would comply with the European Commission’s demands to open up their products to greater competition, but vowed to study the 248-page judgment before deciding whether to appeal.

Anti-trust lawyers were divided last night over the wider implications but agreed Microsoft would have to make dramatic changes. Microsoft faces further complaints about the exclusivity of its Office and Outlook software, both of which it may now have to make much more open to competition.

The judges in Luxembourg supported a fine of €497 million (£345 million) and confirmed the Commision’s ruling that by bundling up Windows Media Player with its Windows operating system, Microsoft had damaged rival media players’ ability to compete. They also upheld an order by the Commission in 2004 that Microsoft supply technical information to other companies, such as Sun Microsystems, so that they can make their servers compatible with Windows-based software.

Microsoft had argued that owners of Windows-based PCs were not compelled to use its media player and that by sharing protocols, which were protected by patents, it was being forced to give away valuable intellectual property at little or no cost. “The court observes that it is beyond dispute that, in consequence of the tying, consumers are unable to acquire the Windows operating system without simultaneously acquiring Windows Media Player,” the judgment said. “In that regard, the court considers that neither the fact that Microsoft does not charge a separate price for Windows Media Player nor the fact that consumers are not obliged to use that media player is irrelevant.”

Neelie Kroes, the Competition Commissioner, said: “Microsoft cannot abuse its Windows monopoly to exclude competitors in other markets.” She said that the verdict should see Microsoft’s 95 per cent share of the PC software market reduce, but would not name a target figure.

Microsoft has argued that the ruling will stifle its creativity and that of other successful companies by forcing them to hand innovative secrets straight to rivals. Brad Smith, Microsoft’s general counsel, vowed to comply with the demands.

Microsoft lost on all major points, winning only a minor victory on the technical issue of the independent trustee appointed to oversee the company’s implementation of the ruling.

Christos Genakos, a research associate at the Centre for Economic Performance, said: “This ruling has reestablished the credibility of EU’s competition policy and proves decisively that there is scope for intervention even in fast-evolving industries.”

Maurits Dolmans, a lawyer with the City firm Clearly Gottlieb, said: “The Commission is not going to suddenly regulate everybody. Microsoft is really an exception, there is no other company in the world that has so many products out there for so many consumers – 90 per cent plus of the market, close to a billion PCs out there with Microsoft products.”

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/linux/2006/07/07/eu-investigating-new-complaint-about-microsoft/

European Union regulators are “studying” a consumer complaint that Microsoft Corp. forces computer makers to sell machines that are preloaded with Windows, excluding other operating systems such as Linux.

The European Commission, the EU’s antitrust regulator, discussed the issue in a Wednesday letter to the consumer that sent the complaint. The consumer complained that Microsoft makes users pay for Windows even if they want to remove it or buy a computer without the software.

“We received the complaint, and we’re studying it,” Jonathan Todd, a commission spokesman, said Friday

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:48:25 AM »
      That was a good read.  Thank you Broni. 

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »
      For every instance of bashing M$, I receive an extra day of my life span (you know....stress relief...).....LOL