Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't Connect to internet...  (Read 3175 times)

Flames1024

Can't Connect to internet...
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
as the title states i cannot connect to the internet on my computer downstairs!! i think i know why but i just wanted to verify before i do anything...well the problem is i have an acer (if anymore information is need il supply it)and it was an Xp pro. i wanted to clear everything on it...unfortunately i didn't receive the Xp pro disc with the computer, and all i had was Windows Home Edition so i installed that on it, and now i can't connect to the internet  Where the local area network should be under network connections there is just a "1394 connection" and if i try to repair it i will get this message...."windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Failed to query TCP/IP settings"  oh and i can on all my other computers and everthing is plugged in. i'm just guessing that the Acer's hardware isnt compatible with the home edition? well thats about it soo if anyone can help i'd greatly appreciate it.
P.S. im new here soo i dont know the forums

cryhelp

Hopeful
  • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
    Re: Can't Connect to internet...
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33586.html  As always the more info you can give the better chance of someone helping you.

But in meantime check this site:http://www.cae.wisc.edu/site/public/?title=xptcpip
    "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 06:37:44 PM »
    all i had was Windows Home Edition so i installed that on it
    I assume, you reformatted your HD?

"1394 connection" is a firewire, not your internet connection.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 09:43:16 PM »
    Sounds like since you formatted and re-installed you need to re-install the MBoard drivers...
    They will be on the Driver CD that shipped with the machine.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "