Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fixing IE issues for table cell fixed width and mis-alignment  (Read 6612 times)

jonsan32

Topic Starter

Rookie
    My page http://www.thepoetryofjonsanders.com/ (through blogger.com) works and looks perfectly good in every browser, except for IE. What's the best fix for ensuring the fixed table widths for each cell? And how can I fix the text-alignment as well. I've included all the html I'm using in the linked file below, a suggestion I found but don't understand from some website, and screenshots at the bottom of this post. Thanks in advance!

The html I'm using:
    http://s2.sigmirror.com/files/64673_behe9/poetryhtml.txt

In some browsers you have to explicitly set the column widths for all
    columns. It is a good idea to use both width=20 and
    style="width:20px" to ensure cross-browser. Also make sure that the
    total widths of all columns add up to the width of the table. When
    creating a simple table with no rowspan or colspan properties, you can
    set the column widths in the first row and save the extra bandwidth of
    assigning it to every column in every row.
    from http://bytes.com/topic/html-css/answers/95311-fixed-cell-width-table-does-not-work-ie

screenshot of my page in IE (What I do not want)

screenshot of my page in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari (How I want it to look)
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. I some times see my computer as a nail.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: fixing IE issues for table cell fixed width and mis-alignment
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
    Checked out the site in IE and looks like you got it resolved.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

jonsan32

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
      Actually, I just upgraded my IE and that fixed the width issue. I don't mind the people unwilling to upgrade being out of luck, but the alignment is still not the way I'd like it. It's centering within a centered table, when it should be to the left of that centered table. Do I need to add any extra closing or opening tags? Or is that just a limitation of IE? Again, in all the other browsers it's perfect.

Thanks!
      If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. I some times see my computer as a nail.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
      I took some time and went through your code. Honestly it had a lot of HTML errors, all of which could be causing this issue with earlier browsers. I set your row to 35% 30% 35% widths, which should correct the error and got rid of the several duplicate </td> tags and other errors. Attached is a cleaned up version that should work.

You may also want to consider learning more about CSS so the <font tags can be replaced with CSS attributes instead. But what I've done should fix it. Unfortunately don't have an older browser to test it in without getting my 98 machine back up and the site I normally use to check it has a 45 minute wait to check in older IE versions.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

jonsan32

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
        Wow, no human being can give you anything greater than a piece of their time here on earth. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Computer Hope
        « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
        You're welcome.
        -Albert Einstein