Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: thinking  (Read 7771 times)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: thinking
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 10:57:13 PM »
No doubt, she actually has 512MB of memory but that laptop is using 32MB for onboard video.
Nice catch didn't even think about that amount of memory being assigned to something such as the video card.

Arlene, You'd not be able to adjust the conventional and/or extended memory detected by BIOS. However, you should be able to find a section in the BIOS that is assigning 32MB of memory to the video or graphics adapter. I'm not familiar with what BIOS you have, but would assume it would be under advanced or adapter section. You should be able to decrease this value once found and that would allocate more memory to your system and likely help with your performance issues.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

arlene

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 11:23:51 PM »
    I think that's it, I'll test it further tomorrow.  I'm so happy.  One more ?before I retire.  How much memory would be enough for video graphics.  I set it to 16, would 8 make performance even faster?  I don't use this for gaming and very little video.  What type of video are they referring to here.  Music video , short news video, watching a dvd, playing a cd?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 12:02:31 AM »
    I think 8 or 16 would be fine even with 32 you wouldn't have much options for games. However, since you're having performance issue give 8 a try if it allows you, and see how it works. If it seems find leave it at that, otherwise bump it to 16.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 12:47:50 AM »
      Are we running off at a tangent here?
      Looking at the OP's first few posts I think running a tracert to CH would be in order.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 08:03:33 AM »
      Laptops, at least some of them, vary the processor speed to conserve battery power.  arlene, have you ever checked your actual processor speed when you experience these slow downs?  If you right click on My Computer and select Properties, the speed will be shown, along with the memory.

arlene

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 10:45:11 AM »
        Hi performance is lots faster except for example when I came to the forum and wanted to go to the 3rd page it was slow and system running in the backgroud.  I went to comp. properties and I can't see where ther is a changing processer speed. the memory is changed to 496 MR of Ram per last nights tech. help.  What does Feds message mean and what is running a tracert to CH.  Thanks thus far. 

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 11:11:32 AM »
        So, you consistently see 1.59GHz or 1.60GHz (whichever it is), right? Running a tracert "reports the path from you to the destination computer. It is commonly used to test the path to a particular system for debugging purposes."  I don't see the need for it since your problem is not specific to viewing any particular website; it's a general problem when web browsing and doing multiple things at the same time with your computer, right?

If you open Task Manger (Ctrl/Alt/Del), how many processes do you have running?

Edit: What do you use to remove spyware/adware?  What anti-virus program are you using?  What firewall?

arlene

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 12:23:11 PM »
          The comp ifo says that I purchased a 1.6 GHZ and says that it is running at 1.5 GHZ.  At the bottom of the task manager(running e-mail and this forum and rarely run more than 3 at one time) it says processes: 40 Is that useful information?  When running this forum, when I wanted to move to the 3th screen it slowed down.  Quick checked the info at My Comp. and said running at 1.59GHZ.  Sometimes when I send e-mail there is the sending screen that comes up and the green lights keep sending over and over but doesn't really send.  After the 3rd klick of send it sent. 
          I have windows firewall, Norton(run daily), Webrot spyware(daily).  Received info from patio on sug. on what to switch to and instructions o that issue.  going to do that this wk. 
          When I start browsing after a few pages my computer is running in the backgroun and takes some time to quiet down.  Right now it is quiet cause I am typing.   Just now my computer started running in the background and I have't browsed, only typing.  Checked programs running and still the same 2. 

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 12:33:49 PM »
          I start browsing after a few pages my computer is running in the backgroun and takes some time to quiet down.  Right now it is quiet cause I am typing.   Just now my computer started running in the background and I have't browsed, only typing. 
          Exactly what does this mean?  Your computer is continuously running when the power is on.

Received info from patio on sug. on what to switch to and instructions o that issue.
          What's that?
          « Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:46:59 PM by soybean »

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »
            Thanks for responding.  I did disk defragment etc., deleated temp files, cookies.  removed unused icons on start-up took apart and cleaned fan, run virus scan dailey.  For example: turning pages in this web site and ebay is when I notice it the most.  It keeps loading and loading and loading.  I hit refresh and then hit it again, i can't wait that long....frustrated! I have DSL and had a speed test done and it was really good. When it isn't doing this it is really good.  Lastly, I don't have more than 3 things up at a time.  Thanks in advance.

Does it happen on all sites or just these two?
            How about a HJT log to see what's running on this computer?

arlene

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
              In reference to the comment on my post at 12:23, I meant that the computer administrator named patio went over virus and spyware info.  I haven' downloaded them, but will do that tonight. 
              I think it may be a good idea at this point to monitor my computer for a wk and get a good feel with it's actions and behaviors with  the graphic memory change I made last night and even try the memory down to 8 MGZ .
              By noise running in the background I mean it sounds like the fan is overworked although is sounding less labored with the memory change.  How many hours do fan's last. 
              Also would a new battery help.  I almost never use my computer on battery only but have noticed the last time I did the screen was rather dim. 
              For example just now as I was wanting to send this post, the fan is running and it won't send.  I click on stop, nothing happens, I click on refresh, nothing happens, it wont allow me to type.  I can move the courser but all other actions are froze. After 2 tries it comes back to life and the fan stops.  The process takes about 4 minutes.   

arlene

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »
                For example just now as I was wanting to send this post, the fan is running and it won't send.  I click on stop, nothing happens, I click on refresh, nothing happens, it wont allow me to type.  I can move the courser but all other actions are froze. After 2 tries it comes back to life and the fan stops.  The process takes about 4 minutes.   

arlene

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 06:29:07 PM »
                  Could you respond to my 2nd last post?
                   How do I do a HJT log?

Fed

• Sage
                    « Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
                    What Reply # is the post you mean?

Here's a link that will explain HJT... HiJackThis to you.
                    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

arlene

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 05:41:54 PM »
                      ok thanks!