Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CMOS Battery Problems?  (Read 4625 times)

Blastrax

CMOS Battery Problems?
« on: October 23, 2004, 08:28:22 AM »
I recently got an old Thinkpad 365XD from a friend, so I'm thinking about dipping into the Linux...but anyway, every time i start it up, I get a prompt for the date/time. I replaced the battery, double checked the wires (i had to re-solder the one to the battery holder, not sure about the ones on the board), but still the prompt. There is an autoexec.bat and config.sys file, but they're blank (i've noticed that on my older systems with windows 98 too....). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: looked through some old posts....Windows starts fine, but it also reminded me. Whenever I start, it runs scandisk, and afterwards once i get to the desktop it asks to restart to install new hardware. It keeps asking this whenever i shut down and start up again. There aren't any programs such as Deep Freeze on it that I know of...

Stats:

Windows 98
100mhz
775mb Hard Drive
40mb RAM
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 08:37:33 AM by Blastrax »

Raptor

Re: CMOS Battery Problems?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 08:35:41 AM »

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 11:05:51 AM »
which hard ware is it asking for...it you get this message of hard ware which you dont have go into the device manager and remove what windows is asking for?and re-boot
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 11:06:14 AM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 06:24:07 PM »
... I replaced the battery, double checked the wires (i had to re-solder the one to the battery holder, not sure about the ones on the board), but still the prompt....

CMOS battery on motherboard is almost dead.  Gotta open it up...Good Luck!

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 04:04:34 AM »
He said he replaced the CMOS battery..

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:26:35 PM »
I know he has changed the cmos battery ...i was posting a tip  for people who may find use for it  to check the cmos battery if you think its failing just   type time in the command prompt...it should read the same as your task-bar clock ...easy aint it...