Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem - Unable to select anything...  (Read 5752 times)

SASR

Problem - Unable to select anything...
« on: June 30, 2007, 07:41:12 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but help would be appreciated.

As of some point yesterday, when I press Fn+F5 (on this laptop - Fujitsu Amilo, 1GB of RAM, Intel Centrino processor, running on XP - the shortcut for turning the volume up) I become unable to select anything. I can move the mouse, but can't click anything. I can press the windows key to bring up the start menu, but can't scroll down to any programs.

What's more, I've tried System Restore, but after I restart it tells me system restore couldn't be done. I've done a full virus scan, nothing was found.

This isn't the only thing that causes it - last night when I closed Trillian the same thing happened. I'm now having to be very careful about what I do now in case I trigger it.

If anyone knows what this problem is and how I can fix it, please help, cheers.

The Saviour

Re: Problem - Unable to select anything...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 08:17:10 AM »
If it's at all possible...update your operating system by visiting Windows update.  Download and install the latest high-priority updates.  Update your malware protection.  Boot into Safe Mode and run full system scans with your malware software.  They should delete or quarantine any infections they find.  When done...boot into Windows normally and run your scans again...

Keep us posted.

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Google
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »
does it not actually do what you want it to when you click? for example: if you press the window key and the start menu comes up, are the options highlighted and don't do anything when clicked on? or are they not highlighted?
i get the feeling it's a driver issue...
Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.

SASR

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »
does it not actually do what you want it to when you click? for example: if you press the window key and the start menu comes up, are the options highlighted and don't do anything when clicked on? or are they not highlighted?
i get the feeling it's a driver issue...
They're not highlightend, it's not like they're not there I guess...

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Google
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 08:29:46 AM »
ok so they're not highlighted
They're not highlightend, it's not like they're not there I guess...
what do you mean by it's not like they're not there? if you put the mouse over something and click, does nothing happen?
Computer Hope

SASR

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »
That's right.

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Google
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 08:50:49 AM »
well it still may be a driver issue but do what The Saviour said anyway, if you haven't already ;)
Computer Hope

SASR

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »
I kept trying an earlier System Restore every time it didn't work, and it just worked now when I set it back to about 2 weeks ago. And well, the problem doesn't seem to be happening at the moment, hopefully it holds up.

I'll definitely be back if I get scared again, heh.

Thanks, lads.

The Saviour

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »
If I were you...I'd also follow the directions from my first post in this thread...

SASR

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:11:22 AM »
Will do, chief. Cheers!

Dam1an

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 10:49:55 AM »
Are you using the touch pad style mouse on the laptop or an external mouse? 

If you are using the touchpad, try using an external one. If it works, either your touchpad is on the fritz or the driver is bad.  If it doesn't well, it's something deeper in your windows.

If you are using an external mouse, try swapping with a known good one. 

Always cheaper and more time effecient to pinpoint the exact problem before fixing imo.