Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Don't know where to start...!  (Read 2212 times)

saw0304

Don't know where to start...!
« on: February 29, 2008, 04:17:40 AM »
Hey there,

I only realised I have a problem with my PC when I tried to start it as a normal this morning and it went into a 3 stage booting process - saying that the first stage was dirty and it would work through it. After the 3 stages it said it would restart the computer.  It did this and went into the normal Windows XP screen, which after a few moments went back to the same 3 stage booting process.  This happened a few times before I gave up - it seems to be on some sort of loop.

The computer is about 4 years old and I have a new laptop arriving on Monday but I've got a load of documents I intended to save to a memory stick in order to transfer it to the new machine. 

Can anyone help - I really know NOTHING about computers once they're on and working!

Also if I do manage to get into the old computer will moving files on to the stick and then onto the new laptop be a problem??

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Stephen

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Don't know where to start...!
    « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:14:44 AM »
    Stephen, please provide more information.  Click here.
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

bartrob

Rookie

Re: Don't know where to start...!
      « Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:19:52 AM »
      turn your computer on whilst pressing F8 hopefully a selection will come up allowing you to select safe mode

select it and just ignore the screen size and colour there is nothing wrong

got to start
      programs
      acceserories
      system tools
      and select system restore

select a restore point to just befor the problem and cross your fingers

bartrob