Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems  (Read 2675 times)

bgs_work

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Problems
    « on: May 10, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »
    My hard drive either has a nasty virus that won't let me get anywhere, or the hard drive is pretty much shot. I'd like to run a recovery disc but I'm out traveling for a pretty extensive amount of time and left them at home...any suggestions as to where I can get the necessary discs to reboot?
    Also, the hard drive was/is a Seagate Ultra ATA 160GB...has anyone used the recovery program they offer?

Thanks,

Blake

cryhelp

Hopeful
    • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
      Re: Problems
      « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »
      "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

bgs_work

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »
        Sorry...I'm running XP on a HP dv1000 series that is a couple years old. I put in a new Seagate Ultra ATA 160GB hard drive in it about 8 months ago and ugraded the RAM to 2GB.
        The computer started by slowing down to a snails pace and when i couldn't get anything I had to shut it off by holding the power button. When it came back up it ran a CHKDSK and everything went back to normal. When I restarted the next time, CHKDSK ran again and then shut off. Started back up and a screen asking to choose 3 options of safe mode, last good config., or start normally...I tried all three options and after it attempts to start XP a blue screen momentarily pops up mentioning something about possible hardware problems (its never up long enough for me to get through it).
        What my biggest dilemna seems to be is that I don't have any of my recovery discs with me.

Hope that can help

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
        DLoad and run the SeaTools diagnistics on that hard drive.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "