Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: An inside look at Apple’s sneaky iTunes 8 upgrade  (Read 3852 times)

Broni

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
An inside look at Apple’s sneaky iTunes 8 upgrade
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=536

I’m reading lots of complaints about the new iTunes 8 update causing horrific problems on Windows machines, including widespread reports of STOP errors, aka the Blue Screen of Death. My colleague Adrian Kingsley-Hughes has asked readers for reports and Gizmodo has a sketchy post as well. How can this be happening? Assuming that the underlying hardware is working correctly, STOP errors can only be caused by kernel-level drivers or system services. A poorly written program can crash itself but not the entire system. So how can a supposedly simple software update cause a fatal crash?

Maybe because this isn’t a simple software update. Once again, Apple is using its automatic update process to deliver massive amounts of new software to users, including a device driver that has a long and checkered history of causing the Blue Screen Of Death to appear. And it’s delivering this massive payload without even a pretense of proper disclosure and without asking consent from its users.

I was able to reproduce a crash using an iPod and iTunes 8 and fixed it by removing the suspicious driver. I’ve dissected the process and put together a gallery that shows how extensive the infiltration is and where you can find the likely culprit.

Read more at the above link

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: An inside look at Apple’s sneaky iTunes 8 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:24:39 PM »
Huh, that's pretty concerning. The conspirator in me wants to think that maybe this is a ploy on Apple's part to get more Windows users to convert over to their system.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Broni

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: An inside look at Apple’s sneaky iTunes 8 upgrade
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
I knew, it had to be a reason, my son switched to Apple last year...LOOL