Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: java  (Read 1776 times)

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

java
    « on: June 10, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
    i have been unable to get a complete game (phlinx) playing in pogo.   the balls i'm supposed to shoot at are missing.....in every room.    i installed the latest update (14) for java and deleted the old version and rebooted.    then i looked at the java console and its just packed with stuff.    there's a button to click at the bottom of the console window to clear the thing,  but i didn't want to do that until someone smarter than me said it was ok to do.    and will that action  restore the balls to the pogo game????????    the other games at the pogo site seem ok.   i have windows XP home SP3.   have ESET,  Regcure,  XSoftSpy, and CCleaner.   i don't ask pogo anything anymore.   they are decidedly unhelpful.     can you help??

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: java
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:14:18 AM »
    Not familiar with the game, however, assuming your running Internet Explorer. If so I'd suggest trying to go through the basic Internet Explorer troubleshooting steps. Mainly clearing your Internet cache, add-on's etc.

Basic IE troubleshooting:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chie.htm

Also could try another browser like Firefox to make sure it's not an issue with the game, and/or post the link to the game so others could try it.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
      i have run the CCleaner and that dumps all sorts of temp files, recycle bin etc.    and the game ran just fine until a few days ago.   pogo has a chat line that i've used to ask other people playing that particular game if they had any trouble,   and they say no.    also, i have a fear of trying all the complicated-sounding procedures in the link you sent.....mostly i have a VERY limited understanding of this machine and its processes and i'm afraid of deleting valuable stuff just to maybe get 1 game to run.

can i clear the java console safely??    will THAT help make the game run?

and, yes, i have IE       

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
      If I recall correctly the clearing the java console is only going to clear any console messages and not resolve anything. Try cleaning the Java temporary files by opening the Java icon in the control panel, click the Settings button under Temporary Internet Files, and click Delete files. This will delete any downloaded Java file currently cached on your computer and will cause the browser to have to re-download any java related file associated with the game.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:13:19 PM »
        i have set the java thingy to NOT save stuff to any cache.   so i have no buildup/backlog of java stuff.   maybe that's a bad idea.   maybe it's slowing things down by a few nanoseconds,  but i don't mind....and it's been set that way for about a year now.

do you know about video cards and drivers?   my NVIDIA   GeForce 4 MX 4000 is dated 10/22/2006.   i tried to get an update,   and found that what i HAVE is the latest and no update is necessary.   seems crazy,  but i thought maybe i had a graphics problem that could be fixed quickly and for free.   guess not

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »
          i got a reply from pogo.   i had to uninstall the latest version of java and put in an earlier one.   and the game runs fine now.

thank you for trying to help.