Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ctrl-Shift-Esc problem  (Read 6286 times)

bullwinkle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Ctrl-Shift-Esc problem
    « on: September 03, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
    When hitting Ctrl-Shift-Esc I always got the Task Manager which showed the current tasks running.

Also when hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del I always got the screen to close down the PC.

Then my son got on my computer.

Now when I hit either combination above, I get a window showing User, ID, Status, Client Name, etc. with the options of Logoff or Disconnect.  The Send Message option is dead.

How can I reset XP to provide the original screens when hitting these key combinations?

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ctrl-Shift-Esc problem
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

billrich

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
    With XP do a System Restore to a day when all was well.

( Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and click on System Restore )

<<<"System Restore overviewSystem Restore is a component of Windows XP Professional that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time.

Notes

Restoring your computer does not affect or change your personal data files. For information about backing up personal data files, see Backing up files and folders.
    For an overview of the other recovery technologies provided with Windows XP, see Recovering Your System.
    For more information about System Restore, see Understanding System Restore.

billrich

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:25:51 PM »
    In XP, you can also right click on the Task Bar and left click on Task Manager.

However, when Task Manager doesn't open at all, a common cause is a virus. Virus writers don't want you to be able to get into Task Manager to shut down their viruses, of course.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

To Enable or Disable the CTRL+ALT+DELETE Sequence
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    In the Secure logon section, select or clear the Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
    Note If the Advanced tab is not available, click Start, click Run, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.

The Advanced tab is not available under certain conditions. For example, if you are a restricted user, the Advanced tab is not available. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    306992  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306992/ ) How to manage stored user names and passwords on a computer in a domain in Windows XP