Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loss of computer after attempt at backup  (Read 18543 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Loss of computer after attempt at backup
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
Correct, except that it is NOT a recovery disc. It is a disc that will get you to the Recovery Console.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
    Wilco, this may take a while will report back in due course.truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
      Will the problems NEVER end!!!!!!! I believe i have downloaded the proper file to "my documents" as a 7:35 mb file. When i open "cd burner xp" select "burn ISO image" it opens the appropriate window. I browse to the file,select it,select open and the file does appear in the burning process window. At the bottom of the window are 3 options.
      1.convert to iso
      2.burn disc
      3.close
        The only option above that is default selected is "finalize disc".
       I select "burn disc' I have tried 5 blank cd disc (3 different manufacturers) and the result is always the same> An error window indicating an unusable disc.
        I have used this burner often. To ensure it's functionality i have just now played audio cd's burned a cd (not the one i want but another) all worked perfectly.The disc after the attempt at burn have all shown as not used and all free space when examining properties on the disc. Is there something wrong with what i am doing or could it be a bad file? truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
      If the file downloaded properly it should be fine - I've pointed dozens of people to that file recently with no reported problems. Why don't you try the burning program I suggested above? After you use it you can always uninstall it if you like.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
        will do,truenorth

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »
          Ok i think i have the correct cd now with the image file on it via the program Allen offered. When i examine the disc in the Compaq it indicates the type of file as an "ISO image" Size= 7.35 mb.
            When i place it in the Sony the results are different than before.
          1.I no longer get the Sony logo page at boot.
          2.I get an "award bios ver 6 --- ending with press F2 to enter setup. It shows "PNP completed" Also shows all HDD and optical drives as present.Which i was NOT getting before.
          3. If not paused on that page it goes to the same DOS page as before then goes to the black page with the flashing cursor as before and there it stops.
          truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
          No command prompt?
          If not, it sounds as though the RC Boot disc can't find Windows installed. If I were you I'd slave the drive and see if there's anything on it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
          Ok i think i have the correct cd now with the image file on it via the program Allen offered. When i examine the disc in the Compaq it indicates the type of file as an "ISO image" Size= 7.35 mb.

still sounds like it wasn't burned properly...

your still burning the Image file onto the disc as a file, rather then burning it as an image. When properly burned you should see two folders on the disc, "boot.images" and "i386" and two files, Win51 and Win51IC.

If you are seeing an "ISO" file on the drive then you are not burning it properly.

Did you use the "copy image to CD" feature explained in Allan's Link? How exactly did you burn the image to the disc?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 11:37:13 AM »
            BC,The short answer is i cannot remember. But you may well be right that it still is NOT the correct info on the disc. I certainly do not see anything as you are describing. Using Allen's burning program and the file in my documents i am going to go back and do it again looking for the items you mentioned. The problem i am having with being unable to answer your question is because i am doing so much in so many programs i can't remember accurately what i did where or when. Don't worry you'll all get there one day. back at it. truenorth
            P.S. I am assuming that if i DO get the correct data on the disc if i do an open or explore (as available) on my Compaq where i am trying to create it it will display those items you state?

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
              I have gone back to Allen's burning program and i find that the precise words ""copy image to CD"" are not offered as an option anywhere.
                There are a variety of choices on the top bar as you probably know. The one that seemed applicable to the task i want to perform is the 1st one "data CD DVD'. Then below there are selections within that to
              1.Action=new,burn,create an image -- from that list i chose "burn" to answer your question BC. Then of course it has me locate that which i wished to burn and i pointed at the file in "my documents".
              2.File and folder tasks=add folder,add file,create new folder,remove from project-- from these choices i chose "add file" and that was how the file from "my documents" was brought in. Then i selected "burn" The process was very fast measured in seconds by the time it did everything including the close (which was the longest part of the process).
               Allen ,You may be right to transition to a data recover stage. I had earlier mentioned that might become necessary. However given BC's observation i don't think we are there yet. I agree with him it may well be i haven't got the right info on a CD yet.
                Please remember i do not see the exact wording that BC has advised me to look for and use in the burning program. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »
              BURN is correct. Shouldn't take longer than 20-30 seconds to burn.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 12:01:19 PM »
                Allen, As i said that IS the option i chose.truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 12:02:06 PM »
                Yes, I know. I was confirming your choice.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
                  Ok that interesting. When i first saw your post it only said "BURN" the rest of it wasn't there. So i too was confirming to you that that is what i had chosen ;D truenorth
                  Is there anyway other than on the Sony to see if i can actually see if those things that BC mentions are actually there without damaging my Compaq?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
                  .File and folder tasks=add folder,add file,create new folder,remove from project-- from these choices i chose "add file" and that was how the file from "my documents" was brought in.

That's during the creation of a data disc.

when you view the disc after burning it, you want to see:

If you are seeing the "ISO" file in the files list on the disc, then it is not being burned properly.

I'll list some instructions for several programs.

CDBurnerXP:

1.Start the program
                  2. Select "Burn ISO Image"
                  3. In the "Select ISO Image to Burn" textbox, use the "Browse..." button to select the "rc.iso" file.
                  4. Make sure the "target device" is the proper burner.
                  5. Check "Finalize Disc"
                  6. Click "Burn Disc"

the Disc should now contain the files I pictured earlier.

IMGBurn:

download link: http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/ImgBurn/1128426215/1

Once installed, You can do one of two things. You can right click on the rc.iso file and select  "burn using imgburn" which will take you to IMGBurn and you can simply click a large button near the bottom to start burning, or, you can:

Start IMGBurn. you should be presented with a list of options- "write image file to disc" is the top left item for my version, and is the one we want to use (click it).

Select the rc.iso file by either dragging it from an explorer window onto IMGBurn at this point or by clicking the left-side button of the two buttons to the right of the "please select a file..." text. Make sure you have an empty disc in the drive, and then click the large button on the bottom (has a picture of a disc on a piece of paper, and an arrow pointing away from it to an image of a disc). The disc should burn, and the files on the disc should now correspond with what I pictured in the image above.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.