Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: master browser?  (Read 2715 times)

JessyD

master browser?
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
I was looking for something else when I found this in an activity log.  If someone could explain what this means I would really appreciate it.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer ***** that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport ********. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

The computer name that I cut out is owned by my ex-husband. So I'm pretty eager to figure out what this means.

Mulreay

Re: master browser?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »
Hi jesseD welcome to computerhope.

Has this computer been used in a network of more than one computer for the internet? It sounds like there was another computer that was the 'main' one and this was on the back of that.. please supply as much info as you can (operating system) etc. thanks  ;)

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: master browser?
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:11:39 PM »
    This is a normal activity. When you have more than 1 pc in your network using Windows they all take a "vote" as to which will hold the pc names for the network. There is an actual process that decides which one will get the most votes to be the master browser. Sometimes there will be an impeachment of the master browser and a new candidate will replace it. LOL. It may sound funny but it's true.
    If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.