Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desperate for BIOS help Acer Aspire 9300  (Read 8297 times)

Analytical1

Topic Starter

Starter

Desperate for BIOS help Acer Aspire 9300
    « on: March 04, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
    I have an Acer Aspire 9300-5317 that runs Windows XP and has 2gb RAM and has been working perfectly.  Today I found it had shut off overnight and when booting did not recognize USB ports and had an error surrounding the BSCOM or Bisonbar.exe that I believe had to do with the Acer Orbicam that I dont really use.  I deleted that registry entry and spent all day trying to fix the USB ports since they are hot to power but have no data flow.  i.e. The mouse laser lights up but wont move the cursor.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB ports even though they were not reporting errors.  Then I tried removing the batteries and power for a few hours as I read this had helped a few people.  Finally, in desperation I decided to update the bios when the cmos did not reset.

It had been running Phoenix v 1.09 and I downloaded the new BIOS v.1.20 from Acer's website. http://support.acer.com/us/en/drivers_download.aspx
    In windows with all applications closed, I opened and unzipped the download and ran it.  The last message I saw was something saying it was successful, then the computer began to reboot and went to a black screen.  All I see now is the lit power button and the dvd/cd tray light flashes occasionally and I can hear the fan running.  I have tried holding downt he power button a few times to force a reboot and the same thing happens. 

What have I done and is there anyway to undo it?

Thanks,

Erik

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Desperate for BIOS help Acer Aspire 9300
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:01:14 AM »
    In the case of a laptop your only choice is to take it to a factory authorised service center.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Analytical1

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:40:23 AM »
      Although the news is disappointing, thanks for your help.

A factory authorized service center would likely cost more to repair it than the computer is worth is my guess.  What needs to be done and what did I do exactly in case I try to sell it for parts on eBay?  I want to know how to describe the problem.  Also, from what I read, that bios update should have been okay: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=231463

Maybe the BIOS chip needs to be replaced is what I am guessing?  Is there some reason other than the sheer logistics of replacing that chip in a laptop that makes it worth not trying?  Or is that not even what needs to be done?

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »
      Correct...
      That is what's needed to be done.
      If you've ever seen the cramped innards of a laptop MBoard you'ld understand why they charge a premium.

Last resort you could scour the Acer Forums to see if anyone's been successful reverting /flashing back to the old BIOS revision.

Analytical1

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »
        Thanks Patio!

Since it's a parts computer at this point anyway, I may as well try to pull it apart to find the bios chip.  In worst case, it's still parts computer.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »
        Go for it...