Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: [ubuntu]need expert advice plsss..  (Read 4761 times)

athena21

[ubuntu]need expert advice plsss..
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
Hi guys.. need expert advice and help..

here's my problem:

i have this media player called TVIX.. i heard that the system used by this TVIX is linux..
the problem is the hard drive inside my TVIX is corrupted.. Hard drive is formatted by windows NTFS..
how i know its corrupted? coz windows detects it as RAW HD and windows hangs up whenever i tried to
browse the drive.. i was told that file allocation table is damaged..
The weird thing is whenever i plug the TVIX to my LCD the files is still there(movies, pictures and songs)
and i can still watch and listen to my files inside the TVIX..

my question is can UBUNTU recover this files so i can transfer my files to my extra HD..and how do i do it??

and can ubuntu format the damaged HD so i can use it again??

Please help.. TIA

techbeard

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: [ubuntu]need expert advice plsss..
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:07:08 AM »
    Hi

Ubuntu can read NTFS and I've used it in the passed as a live CD/USB to recover files from a broken system with NTFS.  I believe it can also format to NTFS aswell.

Hope this helps

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: [ubuntu]need expert advice plsss..
    « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
    Hi

Ubuntu can read NTFS and I've used it in the passed as a live CD/USB to recover files from a broken system with NTFS.  I believe it can also format to NTFS aswell.
    It can format as FAT32, but I don't believe it can format to NTFS.  However, it can read NTFS. 

I've also run Ubuntu off of CD-ROM to recover files.  I don't know whether can be done with a TVIX. I'm not familiar with that device.