Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to connect to another router........  (Read 2184 times)

shyone33

Topic Starter

Starter

Unable to connect to another router........
    « on: March 17, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
    i have a dell inspiron 1525 which i have downgraded from vista to win xp, all is good now at home but when i went to my sisters place and tried to connect to her router i couldnt, when before when i had vista i could.

when i open the view available wireless networks i get a box up that says choose a wireless network, but there is nothing in there and when i click on refresh network list it says windows cannot configure this wireless connection

can anyone help me out with this problem please

thanks in advance

techbeard

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Unable to connect to another router........
      « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:41:51 AM »
      Hi,

Just a couple of questions for you.

Does your Laptop have any wireless software installed from either Dell or your ISP?  Sometimes if there is other software installed to manage your wireless connections, the software and Windows XP's own wireless software get locked in a battle to control your wireless connection and neither side wins.  This is especially true if the wireless software is provided by your ISP.

Do you know if your sisters wireless network is hidden or not?

Cheers
      Techbeard

shyone33

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
        hi, yes i installed the software that came with the computer, dell wireless, and not sure what you mean by hidden, to connect to her modem before i had to put in the passkey or whatever its called, so there was no problem connecting

cheers

tracey

ty for replying

shyone33

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
          now every time i start the laptop up im getting scesrv.dll error messages, as much as i hate it, im thinking im gonna have to put vista back on grrrrrr