Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Speakers play dit-dit-dit instead of sounds.  (Read 3878 times)

Heather Giles

Speakers play dit-dit-dit instead of sounds.
« on: March 21, 2004, 02:30:51 PM »
I've (again) fouled something up while tidying-up my system.  At the moment, my speakers will happily play a music CD, but whever a standard 'computer sound' (Windows sounds, sounds accompanying downloaded videos, etc) is called for, the speakers will only emit a varying series of popping noises.  These will play overtop of the music (as normal Windows sounds would), and answer to volume control.  I have tried reinstalling Windows, reinstalling soundcard driver, and a variety of other similar attempts - all for nought.  Any suggestions?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Speakers play dit-dit-dit instead of sounds.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 03:16:20 PM »
Heather,

We are going to need to know some additional information. What version of Microsoft Windows is on the computer? What is the manufacturer of the sound card? In Windows device manager do you have any errors or conflicts? Additional information about device manager can be found at:

http://www.computerhope.com/win95er.htm

In addition double-check the connections on your speakers, make sure they are properly connected and that they are all the way inserted.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Heather_Giles

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:22:01 AM »
I'm using MS Windows 98, ESS Technology Inc.'s ES1938 PCI AudioDrive, and I have double-checked all connections.  The Device Manager displays an exclamation mark, and the message "device either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed (Code 10)". It also reports that there are no conflicting devices.

From your link (thank you), I learned that Code 10 means the device failed to start.  I followed the remove-and-reinstall directions carefully; the process (again) appeared to succeed, but there is no change - music CDs play properly, but system sounds only produce a brief (or sometimes extended) array of dit-dit-dit noises.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 03:27:37 PM »
Next, we would recommend you verify the speakers are not bad by trying a different pair of speakers and/or by connecting a pair of headphones directly into the sound card.

If you experience the same issues it's possible that there may be an issue with your sound drivers you may want to verify you have the latest sound drivers from your computer manufacturer and/or sound card manufacturer. A listing of sound card drivers can also be found at the below link.  

http://www.computerhope.com/drivers/sound.htm

Finally, if that doesn’t work unfortunately it's a good possibility that the sound card is defective.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 03:28:00 PM by admin »
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

merlin