Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble Finding Correct Sound Drivers  (Read 3899 times)

AngelThesis

Topic Starter

Starter

Trouble Finding Correct Sound Drivers
    « on: March 28, 2010, 10:41:10 PM »
    Hellos  :)

So, my old hdd crashed without warning last week and a few days ago I acquired a new one. Problem is, I have none of the drivers for my board. I was given a link to go download them many years ago when I first bought my pc, but I've long since lost that link. Searching around the web, I discovered my board uses either Realtek AC'97 or SoundMax as embedded audio. I'm not sure which one since my board seems to have two different model numbers on it.

Now, to the most frustrating part of my problem: Neither drivers work. When trying to install the Realtek, I get a error message stating "The Software you are installing for this hardware: Realtek AC'97 audio has not passed Window's Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with Windows XP". I've gotten this message before with my wireless card, but I always tell it to install anyway and all goes well. But with the drivers, it starts to install then my screen goes black and the whole computer restarts itself.

And when I try to install the SoundMax drivers, I get the message "Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again". When I reboot, windows says it found new hardware and attempts to install the realtek drivers again which just makes it restart.

I read a post somewhere about needing to install INF chipset driver updates first, so I tried that but the results are the same. So...my brain hurts and I'm not sure what else to do  ???

Motherboard: Intel D865glc  or  D865peso
    RAM: 1.5gb
    HDD: Seagate 250gb sata
    Antiviruses: AVG free, Spybot

AngelThesis

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Trouble Finding Correct Sound Drivers
      « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
      Fixed this problem. Someone can close the topic :)

Sn3akyP3t3

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
        If I may, could you post what your solution was?  Other visitors may find it useful to solve their own problem.

AngelThesis

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
          I downloaded Everest Free: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Everest-Home-Edition.shtml

Very helpful tool, though when I tried to click to download or get my info about the audio adapter, I get "Page Not Found" from Intel's website. Then I googled the complete name of the audio adapter, which I got from Everest, (intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller) and discovered another way to make the drivers install.

Open the Multimedia Audio Device in Device Manager.
          Install Driver.
          Install from a specific location, THEN make sure to say to say "Don't search I will choose the driver to install"
          Choose Sound Device, then say have disk.
          Locate the folder your drivers are in and install the drivers that way.

This method worked with the SoundMax drivers I had downloaded before.