Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 7 notification area  (Read 4784 times)

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
windows 7 notification area
« on: April 17, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »
Hi, can someone help me with trying to get rid of a program listing in the notification area. There is no icon but the program is listed under the options dialogue box. The program documentation stated the program does not install, and can run as a portable app. The program was "arsclip" a clipboard replacement I wanted to try.

There is a couple of references to what sounds like my  issue on the net and one suggestion was to remove 2 registry keys at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
bu my registry doesnt have the keys mentioned.

Any Ideas? Its win7 home premium 32 bit

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: windows 7 notification area
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 06:32:47 AM »
REVO uninstaller should do the trick...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

btk1w1

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:54:19 AM »
    If it was a portable app it may not have left pointers for an uninstall function, these programs should perform a clean-up on the removal of the portable media.

I would look at performing a system restore to before you run the application. This will at least reset any registry changes the software made.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 11:41:21 AM »
    Hi, can someone help me with trying to get rid of a program listing in the notification area. There is no icon but the program is listed under the options dialogue box. The program documentation stated the program does not install, and can run as a portable app. The program was "arsclip" a clipboard replacement I wanted to try.

There is a couple of references to what sounds like my  issue on the net and one suggestion was to remove 2 registry keys at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
    bu my registry doesnt have the keys mentioned.

Any Ideas? Its win7 home premium 32 bit

The Windows 7 notification area dialog box lists all programs that have ever showed an icon in that area, even programs you do not have any more. From what I can gather, to reset the notification area icons, you need to add that registry key if it is not already present, and 2 sub keys with specific values

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13102-notification-area-icons-reset.html

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
    REVO uninstaller should do the trick...

That would be good except there was no install or uninstall. It simply ran from the exe file. There is no reference to ARSCLIP in revo
    Thanks

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:37:49 PM »
    The Windows 7 notification area dialog box lists all programs that have ever showed an icon in that area, even programs you do not have any more. From what I can gather, to reset the notification area icons, you need to add that registry key if it is not already present, and 2 sub keys with specific values

Hi
    That link to the registry hack is used to remove ICONS which as i said i dont have. All i have is the entry for the program thats no longer anywhere on the puter.
    I installed the registry hack and now i have 2 extra entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify they are icon streams and paste icon streams
    thanks

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »

Hi
    I stumbled across a fix for my issue, please excuse my long winded reply but im trying to be precise.

1   download and merge reg file www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13102-notification-area-icons-reset.html

2   follow instructions re closing and opening explorer, then reboot

3   you will now have 2 new reg entries at  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify   they are icon streams and paste icon streams

4  delete the 2 newly created reg values

5   close and open explore again

6   reboot

7   Voila no entry for my deleted prog "arsclip"

Thank you for your help, again

licoriceallsorts

Topic Starter

Beginner

• More apple pie please
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:12:52 PM »
    If it was a portable app it may not have left pointers for an uninstall function, these programs should perform a clean-up on the removal of the portable media.

I would look at performing a system restore to before you run the application. This will at least reset any registry changes the software made.

Thanks for your response, I tried a system restore but it came up with an error about windows.com. (yes this is a almost brand new legal installation of windows)

Anyway I stumbled across a fix with some help

Hi
    I stumbled across a fix for my issue, please excuse my long winded reply but im trying to be precise.

1   download and merge reg file www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13102-notification-area-icons-reset.html

2   follow instructions re closing and opening explorer, then reboot

3   you will now have 2 new reg entries at  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify   they are icon streams and paste icon streams

4  delete the 2 newly created reg values

5   close and open explore again

6   reboot

7   Voila no entry for my deleted prog "arsclip"

Thank you for your help, again

btk1w1

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »
      licoriceallsorts,

Glad to hear you got it worked out!

Thanks for the follow-up, could come in handy one day.