Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OUTLOOK EXPRESS  (Read 13969 times)

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Experienced
    OUTLOOK EXPRESS
    « on: April 25, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »
    If discussed before, sorry, I can't find it.
    All afternoon I have been trying to use my Outlook Express to connect with the e-mails, but every time I try to send a message I get loads of faults telling me unable to connect etc...
    I am with Waitrose. vom and have entered (as described elsewhere) mail.waitrose.com for the POP3 entry and smtpmail.waitrose.com for the SMTP entry.
    It just will not work.   Help. Odd thing though, whilst I was trying to sort this, someone sent me an e-mail to my normal e-mail a/c and it came up in the In Box on OE.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: OUTLOOK EXPRESS
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
    smtpmail.waitrose.com

did you leave a period out of smtpmail.waitrose.com in OE?

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
      do you mean it should be smtp.mail etc ?

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
      I think the outgoing server would be smtp.waitrose.com.   That would be a typical formatting for the outgoing server code.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you contact waitrose.com to verify the settings.  Don't they have this somewhere on their website?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
      Hmm, I looked at two references from the Google search that do, indeed, say smtpmail.waitrose.com is the code for the outgoing mail server.

cruisin702

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »
      From your original post it appears you can receive mail but can't send mail using Outlook Express. I tried searching for specific settings for your ISP but can't find them. You may need to check the box that says My server requires authentication under "Outgoing Mail Server"

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »
      Another thing you might try: change the port for outgoing mail.  Port #25 was long the standard port for outgoing email but quite a few ISP's now use port 587.  The port # appears on the same screen in OE email account settings as the outgoing server (your smtpmail.waitrose.com code).

Can you tell us a bit about waitrose.com?  Are they your ISP or do you just use an email account with them?  If they are supposed to be a full-featured ISP, they seem to do a poor job of providing information such as setting up a POP email account in Outlook Express or another email client.  Such info seems non-existent on their website.

Have you considered other email options?  Google's free email service, gmail, is quite good, and it can be used with Outlook Express or another email client.

If waitrose.com is not your ISP, if it's just an email account, then using an email account provided by your ISP is another option.

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:06 AM »
        Waitrose.com is my ISP. I have no problems with their normal email service. Where the problem arises is that when I often try to connect to the 'Contact Us' link on many web sites, the contact box that comes up is the OE6 box. After filling out my enquiry, on going to send it, I get the error box stating 'cannot connect to POP3 server or SMPT mail server'.
        I have now emailed Waitrose to get the info from the horse's mouth, although there are several sites that I have Googled which all give that same info, (mail.wai.... and smtpmail.wai...)
        Thanks to all for trying. Pete.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
        ... but every time I try to send a message I get loads of faults telling me unable to connect etc....

I have no problems with their normal email service. Where the problem arises is that when I often try to connect to the 'Contact Us' link on many web sites, the contact box that comes up is the OE6 box.
        We have contradictory facts here.  You initially said "every time ..." but now you're saying the problem only occurs when trying send mail via a "'Contact Us' link on many web sites".  So, has something changed since your original post?

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
          No. Everytime I try to use OE, I get the fault messages. When I use my normal email accounts, I get no problem (except the slowness of the site).  I do not know what system Waitrose are using for their email service. Perhaps this is the problem. However, I still cannot connect using OE when trying to contact other WEB sites.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:11 PM »
          No. Everytime I try to use OE, I get the fault messages. When I use my normal email accounts, I get no problem ...
          <sigh> The confusion continues.  Exactly what do you mean by "normal email accounts"?

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
            I call my everyday email accounts my NORMAL ones. It is ONLY when I am directed to the OE system by Web Sites when I try to connect with their 'contact us' and a ready-made message page comes up that I have the problem. If they just supply an email contact address, then I have no problem as I go through my own provider and not theirs.

Pete.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 12:24:43 PM »
            So, you don't use OE for your "everyday email accounts"?  Is that right?

Keytapper

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »
              That's right. Only when trying to contact a web site on THEIR form.