Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need help with installing ubuntu.  (Read 15918 times)

mr-bisquit

Re: I need help with installing ubuntu.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »
Post your system specs and we can go from there.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »
    Intel 2.2 CPU, Intel mother board, Nvedia 6800 I think, 4GB of memory, a 160GB hard drive and a Pioneer DVD burner. If you need more numbers such as the mother board and the card let me know I will have to take the unit apart to get them. I posted all this in one of the past posts. My second post I think.
    « Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:52:47 AM by I Shooter »

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 09:45:57 AM »
      Up date on this problem. I took out the video card and it was a EVGA Ge Force 8400 I also took out a modem card that isn't being used. I didn't remember putting that in. Any way the mother board number is D945GCNL. I put in the ubuntu disk and it didn't work. At the pick key  board I got the same error. All so there is only 2GB or memory in the computer. Any one have any other thoughts? Thank you much for your time.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:05:22 AM by I Shooter »

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »
      I also ordered a new copy of linux Mint. That didn't work, I got the same error message as with Ubuntu and Ubuntu for net books. There has to be some thing about this computer that it don't like. Then why will the old stuff work?
      How are you getting these discs so fast?  I once ordered Ubuntu and it took 10 days or longer, as I recall.  You seem to be getting them almost immediately.  How does that happen?  What source are you getting them from?
      All so there is only 2GB or memory in the computer.
      2GB should work fine.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »
        I ordered the disks from On-Disk.com. The Ubuntu order took three days from date of order. I ordered Ubuntu for net books, Linux Mint and Posted Ubuntu. Yes the computer only has 2GB of memory. The odd thing is that after taking out the video card the computer plays DVDs better. They are not so choppy as be for. I think that the Ubuntu drivers were off for the card. When I put the card back in I will have t look in to that and get Linux drivers from EVGA.
        « Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:16:43 PM by I Shooter »

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
        Yes the computer only has 2GB of memory.
        And, again, that's not a problem.  Heck, I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed as a VM (Virtual Machine) with only 512MB allocated to it, on a computer running Windows 7 with 2GB of total RAM.

The odd thing is that after taking out the video card the computer plays DVDs better. They are not so choppy as be for. I think that the ubuntu drivers were off for the card.
        Yeah, you've encountered one of the more difficult situations to deal with when installing Ubuntu.  The Linux community thinks all software should be open source and they seem to have a negative attitude toward NVidia, who does not make their driver/software open source.  At least, that's my perception. 

I do have an NVIDIA video card in the system in which I have Ubuntu installed.  During installation of Ubuntu, I saw a message regarding "proprietary" drivers from NVIDIA and prompting me to accept or choose a certain NVIDIA driver.  Once I responded to that by indicating I want to use a driver displayed there, Ubuntu then went ahead and installed it.  And, this is working fine in my system. 

But, yes, you may have better luck just using the onboard video with Ubuntu.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
          New up date. I got Posted Ubuntu installed on an old Dell, it worked fine. Every thing as it should except that it was going to leave Windows and install beside it so I could choose witch one I wanted t boot from. That didn't happen. Is there a way I can get into Windows?  Or is there a way to boot into Windows? I need to get some pictures off before I loose it all. Where it was to tell me witch one to boot to Windows isn't a choice. Is there a way to fix this? I did this to prove that it was the other computer that has a problem and not the disk.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 05:10:43 PM »
          Within Ubuntu you can mount all the windows partitions.
          You can copy your documents and photos to a USB thing.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
          I got Posted Ubuntu installed on an old Dell, it worked fine. Every thing as it should except that it was going to leave Windows and install beside it so I could choose witch one I wanted t boot from.
          Did you use Wubi to do the installation of Ubuntu in Windows?

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 05:52:17 PM »
            No. I just used the disk and did as it said.

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
            Within Ubuntu you can mount all the windows partitions.
            You can copy your documents and photos to a USB thing.
            If you go to Places, Computer, what all do you see?  Can you post a screen print?

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »
              250 GB Hard disk 155GB file system that has Windows on it. Then there are four USB  ports. Then the DVD and then file system that has Ubuntu on it, the file size isn't given. That is the way it told me it would be laid out from when it set it up. I was able to get to my pictures and put them in to Ubuntu but don't know how to get them to a USB drive from Ubuntu. Every place I click on tells me it will send it to a file or to the trash. I just can't get them to the USB.

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »
              I was able to get to my pictures and put them in to Ubuntu but don't know how to get them to a USB drive from Ubuntu. Every place I click on tells me it will send it to a file or to the trash. I just can't get them to the USB.
              Drag and drop, just like you would in Windows using Windows Explorer.  Ubuntu's File Browser is the equivalent of Windows Explorer.  So, open one File Browser window to display the folder containing the photos.  Then, open another File Browser window for the USB drive.  And then, just drag and drop the photos from one window to the other.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »
                I wet to Places and clicked on pictures then went to places and clicked on computer. Now I have my pictures on one page and the USB on an other. I click on a picture and drag it down to computer at the bottom of page and that page comes up. I drag the picture up to the USB and drop it. I then get there was an error copying file into computer. Then, Operation not supported by backend. So what am I doing wrong?

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
                  • Yes
                • Certifications: List
                « Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
                Any way the mother board number is D945GCNL. I put in the ubuntu disk and it didn't work. At the pick key  board I got the same error. All so there is only 2GB or memory in the computer. Any one have any other thoughts? Thank you much for your time.
                Were your hard drive(s) in a RAID configuration? I've had another 2 Ubuntu users hint that your problem looks like it is RAID related by what was in the error message.