Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't access XP machine shared docs  (Read 21836 times)

Redeyes_Gambit

Can't access XP machine shared docs
« on: July 14, 2005, 10:21:53 AM »
}{i,

I have six (yes six) machines all connected together on a network. Two are XP (one home and one prof.) and four are 98SE. All was running fairly hunky dorey untill a few days ago (the 11th) when one of my 98se machines access to the XP home machne became... intermitant, at best. I had had this problem with one of my other win 98se machines before but if you held your mouth just right it all went ok.

All of these machines can connect to the internet and play LAN games with eachother. All can see eachother's shared doc's EXCEPT the two 98se machines which cannot see the XP home's shared doc's (however it DOES work the other way around, the XP home machine CAN see EVERY other machines shared doc's). Since it's realy confusing to layout my network with words Ill just show you (ignore the periods i just did that to get it to line up right):

....................................... ....................................... ............
~~~~~[M]-------[R]
..........................|------(XPH)  :)
..........................|---------------(XPP)  :)
..........................|-----------------------(98.1)  :)
..........................|
.........................[H]
..........................|-----(98.2)  :-X
..........................|-------------(98.3)  :-X
..........................|--------------------(98.4)  :)
....................................... ....................................... ............

KEY:
"--- OR | "....................................... ...............Denotes LAN

"~~"....................................... ...............Denotes Ethernet

"M"....................................... ....................Ethernet modem

"R"....................................... ...................................Rout er

"H"....................................... ....................................... .Hub

"(XPH)"....................................... .........XP Home Computer

"(XPP)"....................................... XP Profesional Computer

"(98.1, 98.2, 98.3 etc.)"..........Windows 98se computer 1, 2, 3 etc.

:-X ........................Computers that wont talk to the (XPH)

:) ....................Computers that will talk to EVERY machine

This problem just kinda appeared outa the blue on the 11th of this month (July) and I could always access the shared doc's on the XPH from every machine except the flukey 98 untill then. All IP adresses have been confirmed to be non-conflicting and it's not the hub or the cables from it to the router because as you can (hopefully) see on the diagram I have a 98 machine connected to the hub that CAN and DOES talk to the XPH all the time even when the two :-X can't. I've also tryed swapping ports on the hub just to see if that helped and it didn't. It's also not the cable from the XPH to the router, because I can ALWAYS access other machines FROM the XPH, even when the two :-X cant access the XPH. And It's not the cables from the two 98 machines either because I can ALWAYS access all the other machines, except the XPH from the two :-X even when I can't access the XPH. Now this is an intermitant problem mind you, every now and again I can access the shared docs on the XPH from the  :-X machines but this is rare.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 11:02:51 AM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

Re: Can't access XP machine shared docs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 11:32:20 AM »
Faulty nic cards maybe? what hapens if disconnect 98.4 and connect it to 98.2.......i would have used wxp as the server myself....

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:02:11 PM »
well it can't be faulty NIC on the XPH, 'cause only the two :-X cant access it (the others can). and even when it is unaccessable by the two :-X the XPH can still get on the internet and browse every other machines shared docs.

And it can't be a faulty NIC on either the 98.2 or 98.3 because when they can't access the XPH they can still access the shared docs on eachother or the 98.1 or the 98.4 or the XPP.

As for using the XPH as a server, that would mean I'd have to leave the XPH on whenever I wanted to get on the net with any of the other machines which I realy don't wan't to have to do (it may be fine for what somebody else needs, it's just not my prefrence). Right now none of them depend on the other 'cause they all connect to the router either directally, or through the hub which is then connected to the router (it's only a 4 port router wich is why the hub is connected to the router in the first place.).

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 01:38:56 PM »
check bindings.......control panel click the network icon click the nic adapter click properties is the box ticked.....

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 01:47:30 PM »
on the two 98's that are having trouble... yes, the boxes are checked.

As for the XPH I can't find the bindings thing  :P .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 01:54:01 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 01:53:15 PM »
ok go back to the network spalsh box...click on client for
msoft networks......properties...have a look at the network log on options?the bootom option is that ticked....

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 01:56:19 PM »
"logon and restore network connections" yes it's checked

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »
This problem just kinda appeared outa the blue on the 11th of this month (July)

Do you recall installing or reconfiguring any type of software?

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 02:57:50 PM »
What response do you get if  you type netstat in the cmd prompt.....or ping the pcs concerned.....

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 05:09:54 PM »
Yes I can ping all the machines from 98.2 I havent tryed pinging from the 98.3 yet. as for the netstat it gives my computer's name 3 times with an IP adress and then www.computerhope.com (hmm i wounder why that is ;) )

And as for software the closest thing I can remember is Sygate personal firewall. But it would be weird if it blocked only the XPH and let all the others through. Not to mention that the XPH is available SOME of the time. And the 98.2 machine doesn't have sygate installed and it has the same problem.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 05:10:48 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 05:26:39 PM »
Redeyes:

Please do this for all three of the Windows 98 machines:

1. Click Start and select Run
2. In the Run box, type COMMAND and click OK
3. In the command window, type IPCONFIG /ALL
4. Write down the results for each machine and post them here at the forum

That will tell us if your Internet Protocol Configuration is to blame for the problem.

Regards,
Doc

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 08:31:44 PM »
Ok, umm... slight problem with that... How do you scroll up in a dos window? Lol  ::)

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 10:40:19 AM »
Click on the broken square box and enable full screen mode.....msdos......

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 12:24:30 PM »
Ok, it says (atleast what I can see, there may be stuff higher up):

ok this is for the 98.2 machine:

DHCP enabled:...................:yes
IP Adress............................: 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask......................: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway................:
DHCP Server......................: 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS server..........:
Secondary WINS server.....:
lease obtained...................:
lease expired.....................:

1 Ethernet adaptor :

Description.....................: U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX
Physical adress..............: 00-C0-49-55-75-67
DHCP Enabled................: Yes
IP adress.......................: 192.168.#.*** (It gives the last few digits but I dont want my IP floating around the net :) )
Subnet mask........................: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway...................: 192.168.#.*--- (if you need this info PM me and I'll get it to ya)
DHCP Server.........................: 192.168.#.*---(same as above)
Primary WINS server............:
Secondary WINS server.......:
Lease Obtained...................: 07 15 05 6:35 07 AM
Lease Expires......................:

and heres the 98.4 machine (98.3 is currently in use by another person, I'll try to put that on here later):

(I cant see the DHCP on this machine, goes off the screen and I still can't scroll)
IP Adress............................: 169.254.**.***
Subnet mask......................: 255.255.0.0
lease obtained...................: 07 15 05 12:08 16 PM

1 Ethernet adaptor :

Description.....................: Realtek 8139-series PCI NIC
Physical adress..............: 00-50-22-E3-39-45
IP adress.......................: 192.168.#.***
Default gateway...................: 192.168.#.*--- (if you need this info PM me and I'll get it to ya)
Lease Obtained...................: 07 15 05 12:08 28 PM

HTH
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 12:40:33 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 12:33:49 PM »
top one

DHCP Server.........................: 192.168.#.*---(same as above

bottom one? that where the fault lies......all should be the same settings....

Raptor

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 12:35:31 PM »

Not quite relevant to your situation, but these adresses are the same in almost every home network. Mine is 192.168.1.1. As long as you do not reveal the IP adress your ROUTER uses to connect to the WAN outside your LAN, there will be little harm in telling what computer uses what number and what your DHCP server and default gateway is.

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 12:37:44 PM »
Ahh ok, good to know, thnx raptor. Ok, so how do I fix it?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 12:42:31 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 01:19:32 PM »
 top one

DHCP Server.........................: 192.168.#.*---(same as above

bottom one? that where the fault lies......all should be the same settings....

You overlooked Merlin's post, I'm affraid.

Here's an interesting article:

How Home Networking works

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 01:28:35 PM »
No I saw His post. I just don't know how to change those settings  :P lol

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 01:30:27 PM »
We all over look things.......i will own up ......to this....
the human factor.....or memory.....the brain will trick the eye to seeing anything.........and the mug of tea going down well.......
off topic i know!

I would advise mg.....to save the hassle ......make a network disk.....for peace of mind....But that up to you......

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 01:37:13 PM »
You should set all computers to obtain the IP adress automatically. This can be from the following menu:

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Right click on your Network card
5. Properties
6. Internet Protocol TCP/IP

Also be certain that your router is configured to have an adress pool that is large enough to support all your computers.

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 02:24:32 PM »
Ok, there all ALREADY set to obtain an IP automatically, as for the router adress pool I need to look at the documentation *pulls out phone book sized bunch of black and white papers*  ::) .

Man, this is waaaay complicated.

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 02:31:12 PM »
Try using the PING command on the following adresses from the computers that are not responding:

127.0.0.1 - if this does not return, there is an issue with the network card
192.168.1.1 - if this does not return, there is an issue with the connection to the router
www.computerhope.com  - if this does not return, there is an issue with the router connecting to the Internet or the DNS server
192.168.1.x - Where X is another computer connected to the same network. If this does not return, there is most likely an issue within in the LAN.

You should use the following adresses to determine where the problem lies. Can you access the Internet on the machines that refuse to share?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:32:54 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 02:38:33 PM »
 :-X two machines to setup..... follow on!

192.168.02 and so on .......192.168.06

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »
Ok,

questions form Raptor:

127.0.0.1 -----------All Packets Returned
192.168.1.1---------All Packets Returned
192.168.2.103-----(one of the machines on my network, the 98.3) First packet not returned but the last three returned. I pinged it a second time and all packets returned. This happens no matter what machine I ping when I ping from the 98.2 because of my firewall. I turned it off and all the packets return on the first shot. I could not ping the 98.2 (the machine I have been pinging from) from the 98.4 untill I turned off the firewall on the 98.2. But even with the firewall off I cannot access the XPH from the 98.2.

OOPS!!! Well I gotta shut this machine down! we have a storm rolling in and I just lost power for a couple of seconds (I LOVE MY UPS!!!).

be back asap.

Ok back. Ummm... Ok your other questions raptor yes I can access the internet from both  :-X machines all the time. Even when they can't access the XPH shared docs. and I can even play LAN games between the XPH and the two  :-X  (well, actualy I need to confirm that yet from the 98.2 to the XPH. But the 98.3 CAN and DOES play LAN games with the XPH regularly even though it cannot access the XPH's shared doc's alot of the time.)

And as for the adress pool for the router I can't find anything in the documentation. Does this go by any facy-shmancy ten-syllable acrosstic or something like that that you, for simplicities sake, just called the adress pool? Or is there another way to know what I need to about my routers adress pool?

Now, Merlin's questions (or statement or whatever  :) )
so you want me to set all machine to have a static IP adress instead of using DHCP from the router?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 03:48:29 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 04:44:46 PM »
192.168.2.103........nope still wrong!<192.168.1.3> zeros in the wrong place!

Now, Merlin's questions (or statement or whatever   )
so you want me to set all machine to have a static IP adress instead of using DHCP from the router rg.....

yes.....common ground........abcd....etc....as above ::)

Raptor

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 04:59:32 PM »
And as for the adress pool for the router I can't find anything in the documentation. Does this go by any facy-shmancy ten-syllable acrosstic or something like that that you, for simplicities sake, just called the adress pool? Or is there another way to know what I need to about my routers adress pool?

The adress pool is just that, an option called adress pool which allows you to set a a number ranging from 192.168.2 to 192.168.1.254 to denote what adresses the DHCP server may pick.

Have you checked to see if all the computers still have the correct privileges?

Since everything still works as it should, apart from the shared documents, I do not think your issue is hardware related.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 05:00:40 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 05:09:56 PM »
Dont fiddle with router settings........the router is NOT the problem??.......nor is the hub......two pcs out of sync....my first suggestion if recall was to move the last in the net link up two.........to test for net connection...on the ones that have the problem........overlook it maybe.....more haste less speed...an old adage..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 05:12:49 PM by merlin_2 »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2005, 08:26:56 PM »
... This happens no matter what machine I ping when I ping from the 98.2 because of my [glb]firewall[/glb]. I turned it off and all the packets return on the first shot. I could not ping the 98.2 (the machine I have been pinging from) from the 98.4 untill I turned off the [glb]firewall [/glb]on the 98.2. But even with the firewall off I cannot access the XPH from the 98.2... .

RedEyes:

My experience is (and i may be out in left field) that using software firewalls other than the Windows XP firewall wreaks havoc with network connectivity.  Try disabling every firewall and see if that makes a difference.  

If it does, consider using a hardware firewall as a router instead of software firewalls, or see if there is a way to properly reconfigure the firewalls.

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 08:27:52 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2005, 08:42:33 PM »
Ok, here's the current situation: at one point during the storm (actualy it was after everything had calmed down but hey) the power went out for a period long enough that we had to turn everything off instead of running off the UPSs. during the time the power was out I figured I'd organize all the cords and cables around the router/hub/modem and three of the  PCs. During which I rearanged most of the networking cables. The problem remains the same even though nearly everything is in a differant location so let us set aside the options of bad sockets or cables. I concurr with Charles Bronsen over there, i think it's something software. Since I can LAN game and surf the net on all machines. Though if it's a software problem on the XPH side or the two 98s I don't know.

Now, what do you mean by privlages raptor? I've already ratified the emancipation proclamation for all my machines, whether black or white plastic if thats what you mean (though I admit I own a slave drive or two) ;) .

Do you mean there all in the same slave grou... Uhh.. I mean workgroup? I have them set up for workgroup based sharing and not the other one (which I can't remember the name of right now).

Hi PC doc, Ok, your suggestion:
I have used norton firewall, windows firewall, Computer Assocites Firewall, and now this sygate firewall (oh, and the router has firewall ability too though I don't think it's currently active). Now I admit this is the first time I have used the Sygate and it is a free firewall as opposed to the either windows or purchase firewalls. But the other firewalls I have been quite pleased with (I hold judgement on the Sygate). However I WILL try your suggestion and thank you for your advice, don't get me wrong.

Update: No joy. both the firewall for the XPH and the 98.2 are turned off (the other 98 that is having trouble has no firewall) and I still cannot access the shared docs on the XPH.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 08:55:52 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »
RedEyes:

Yep!  Turn 'em *ALL* off, and double check you haven't forgotten any.  If the problem persists, then you've ruled out firewalls as the cause.  If the problem goes away, then all you have to do is figure out which firewall is to blame.  My guess is it's the one you most recently installed.

BTW, i've read it's never a good idea to run more than one firewall (just like it's not a good idea to run more than one antivirus program) on one computer.  The reason is, the argument goes, the programs step on each other's toes and prevent one another from doing what they were designed to do.  Something to ponder, anyway.

Let us know how the firewall experiment, and other troubleshooting, goes.

Doc

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2005, 09:34:53 PM »
Yes I concurr entirely, i don't have and wouldn't want under any cercumstances more than one (software) firewall installed on ANY machine at the same time (yikes that would be a nightmare!) What I meant is I have used all those firewalls in the past. Lol srry if i didn't make that clear.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2005, 09:37:54 PM »
I thought you sounded smarter than that!  Sorry for misunderstanding.  :)

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2005, 10:03:17 PM »
Hey no prob, I've never done anything like that before *nose grows a few inches*  ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2005, 05:01:53 AM »
I would say check all the net  settings???

Computer_Commando

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2005, 09:59:31 AM »
... is for the 98.2 machine:

DHCP enabled:...................:yes
IP Adress............................: 0.0.0.0
Subnet mask......................: 0.0.0.0
lease obtained...................:

1 Ethernet adaptor :

Description.....................: U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX
Physical adress..............: 00-C0-49-55-75-67
IP adress.......................: 192.168.#.*** (It gives the last few digits but I dont want my IP floating around the net :) )
Lease Obtained...................: 07 15 05 6:35 07 AM

The problem is your 98.2 machine.  For some reason, the router is giving it a local IP (192.168.1.X), but the public IP is not being "passed through".  That's why it says 0.0.0.0 under the DHCP enabled.  Your Public IP is the same for all computers and is shown to you (and you only) in my signature.  Until it shows the 169.254.**.*** as in the 98.4 machine and all the others, it's not connected to the internet.  BTW, 169.254.**.***  is unique to you, it's your WAN IP address (or Public IP address), issued by your ISP.  

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2005, 01:57:02 PM »
No, I don't think it's that. I think those top values are for my PPP thingy. I could'nt scroll up and see how the first set was labled. If i type winipconfig in the run box i get the same stuff for the PPP adaptor (its lited in the drop down menu).
See how the bottom set of numbers are labled for "ethernet adaptor". Arn't those my IP adress stuff for the network?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 02:03:33 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2005, 02:08:57 PM »
Which of the pc has different nic cards in<shot in the dark>and are you using adsl/cable/b/band connection......

Computer_Commando

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2005, 02:20:50 PM »
...Arn't those my IP adress stuff for the network?

No, that's the LAN side not the WAN side.

Go to browser and enter (or click)the following:
http://192.168.1.1/index.htm

Find DHCP Clients table, post list here.  All 6 computer should be listed, if you have not recently recycled power on router.

BTW, what is make and model # of router and hub?  I have almost identical network as you do, 2-XP/2k on router, 1-XP on hub, 3-98 on hub, 1-95 on hub.  Don't expect fast speeds from the ones on the hub if they are all in use at the same time.  A hub is not a router or even a switch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 02:22:53 PM by Computer_Commando »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2005, 02:24:55 PM »
What do ya mean merlin (about the nic)? As for internet, yes I have dsl  ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2005, 02:27:52 PM »
NIC = Network Interface Card
Do any of the PCs have more than 1 card (yes, this is "legal", Windows allows more than 1 NIC card).

merlin_2

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2005, 02:31:46 PM »
nic= network interface cards.......i noticed you have two different ones(...U.S. Robotics 10/100 PCI NIC TX ///Realtek 8139-series PCI NIC )
...<shot ine the dark> i reckon the ics is not enabled.......i would go back to the drawing board .....by using the networking wizard.......

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2005, 02:38:56 PM »
well that adress takes me to my ethernet modem which doesn't give a list of DHCP stuff. As for my router I am using a Black Box ummm something something something 5 port router with print server function. My hub is old SynOptics mega 16 port hub. (I know, excessive but hey it was free)

Yea, i know what A NIC is but my question was what do you mean by wich one has a differant NIC? There all differant. There is not a single machine that has a NIC the same as the other. And no Computer commando, I dont have more than one NIC installed on any machine.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:10:43 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2005, 02:50:48 PM »
well that adress takes me to my ethernet modem ...

Are you saying this (below) is not the router, but the DSL modem?  BTW, your modem is either ADSL (DSL) or cable.  No such thing as an ethernet modem.  You are using the ethernet port of the DSL modem.  Most modems also have USB port.
http://192.168.1.1/index.htm

If that is the case, then that's the problem, you have a conflict between the router and the modem, on the LAN side.  Both have the same LAN IP address, so the 1st computer on the hub is not getting a WAN address.  The router is not really "routing".  Why the 2nd one does, is a function of the hardware in the hub and I have no explanation.

Change the LAN IP address of the router to:
http://192.168.1.2/index.htm

Then power everything off, then power up in following order:  DSL modem, router, hub, computers.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:02:04 PM by Computer_Commando »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2005, 03:04:07 PM »
My routers IP has always been 192.168.2.1

AHA! we may finaly be getting someplace! I went into my router via the IP and it shows only FOUR computers on the dhcp list, apperantly it cannot assigne DHCP to those on the hub! So, what doI do? Do I assign static IP's to those on the hub and let the other machines continue using DHCP or do I go for static on all?

Oh and by the way computer commando, the first machine on the hub has never had a problem getting on the WAN (internet) in fact all machines on the hub AND the ones directally plugged into the router can get on the WAN. Thats not the problem. Only shared documents on the XPH is inaccessable. And the XPH can access the 98s shared docs, it just doesnt work FROM the two 98s having problems TO the XPH.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 03:38:44 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Raptor

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2005, 03:24:29 PM »
Be certain that the machines not being seen in the DHCP client list are not blocking the router with a firewall.

Add the router (192.168.2.1) to the safe zone list and see if this allows the DHCP client list to detect the computer.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »
My routers IP has always been 192.168.2.1

AHA! we may finaly be getting someplace! I went into my router via the IP and it shows only FOUR computers, apperantly it cannot assigne DHCP to those on the hub! ...Only shared documents on the XPH is inaccessable. And the XPH can access the 98s shared docs, it just doesnt work FROM the 98 TO the XPH.

If the 4 computers on the hub are not listed, nothing is ever going to work right.  My router assigns IPs to all those on the hub.  Is there a page in your router that says:
DHCP Server - enabled
Starting IP Address - 192.168.2.1
Number of DHCP Users - 10 (or more)

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2005, 03:51:58 PM »
Wait a minute...
Nevermind. Apperantly thats only active dhcp cliens (thats what it calls it, i have no idea what it means so don't ask lol). Now it only shows 2. Man this is soooo complicated. I may try merlins suggestion and start over from scratch.

As for finding a place where the router lists all DHCP clients, no i can't find one. It does say DHCP is enabled however.

On the Modem however it does give a start and end DHCP aderss (weird) Does this mean my modem AND router are trying to do DHCP?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 04:07:37 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2005, 04:22:03 PM »
Concentrate on the router.
You said it was a "...Black Box ummm something something something 5 port router with print server function..."

Is this it?

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2005, 04:59:53 PM »
No, srry. Didn't realize you needed specifics. Its a lr9603a actualy. if you go here:

http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/Templates/blackbox/mainscreen.asp and then hit the search button and do a search for the "lr9603a" it will come up with it. Mine is the usb version so it doesn't look exactly like the one shown (doesn't have the fancy silver thingy on it).

Oh, and my bad, I said it was a five port router when its realy a 4 port plus a WAN port.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:01:31 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2005, 05:06:21 PM »
I would chose option 3

3: A sledge hammer                                                        
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:07:02 PM by merlin_2 »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2005, 05:10:19 PM »
Lol, thing is merlin I don't know WHICH one to sledgehammer!

merlin_2

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2005, 05:23:19 PM »
Before we end up with a harry potter book on pcs networking platform 3/4.........i would move one of win98 pc....thats not working to the one thats is....process of elimination.....logic... if this works....and do the same with the next one etc.....this will prove the net setting are out ....on the two win98..........i would place one of the winxp pcs in the middle.....after the hub...but thats me.....

Computer_Commando

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2005, 05:28:41 PM »
That's pretty cheap for a BlackBox.  I assume you didn't buy it.  Very few people have heard of them, unless you're an engineer.  All their stuff is expensive.  I'm just wondering who makes it for them.
Something is wrong with the router setup or the router hardware.  Try plugging the hub into a different port.  Also, try different hub ports, maybe the one you're using is partially blown out (probably why it was free).  I  assume there is no online manual for the router.  Most routers are similar but not identical.

BTW, your network configuration is valid and should work.  Mine is identical.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:35:29 PM by Computer_Commando »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »
Ok, Merlin and commando

I have moved the hub to a differant port on the router and it did't help. I have plugged both the 98s that are having trouble into the router directally and it didn't help. I have tried moving all the computers plugged into the hub to differant ports on the hub and it didn't help.

More of nothing I'm afraid.

As for why this hub was free it was a gift from a friend who got it from a chemical company that was going out of buisness.

Also wouldn't it be kinda weird to be able to browse every other machine's shared docs FROM the machines on the hub EXCEPT the two troublesome 98s that can't browse the XPH?

And why can the third 98 on the hub browse the XPH even after swapping ports around?

Not to mention the two 98s that are having trouble browsing the shared docs on the XPH can get on the internet, and even play LAN games with the XPH!

AND the XPH --CAN-- see the shared docs on the two 98s that are being so contrary!

:o !!!

This is so mind blowing.

I also have a linux machine on the hub now, and irony of ironies, EVEN IT can get on the shared docs of the XPH!

I think its software.

If this keeps up I think I may finaly know what to use the sledgehammer on...

MYSELF!!! lol

(note I am by no menas angry with anyone here. I capitolized certain things to stress the point. I'm not even angry with the problem. tired mentaly YES! And after 50-some-odd posts here I am quite ready for it to be resolved ;D lol. )
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 06:16:00 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Raptor

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2005, 05:56:32 PM »
What type of firewalls are installed?

Have you tried adding your Router (192.168.2.1) to the safe/trusted zone (Not Internet zone) of whatever firewall you are using?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:56:59 PM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2005, 06:02:19 PM »
I have moved the hub to a differant port on the router and it did't help. I have plugged both the 98s that are having trouble into the router directally and it didn't help. I have tried moving all the computers plugged into the hub to differant ports on the hub and it didn't help

I assume you restarted the computers after reconnecting?  Or ipconfig release, renew?  
Are all on the same workgroup, named "Workgroup"?

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2005, 07:51:50 PM »
No good. tryed restrating MULTIPLE times on both the XPH and one of the 98s (the one that had the firewall) with BOTH the firewalls (the one on the XPH and the 98 ) off and with the 98 plugged DIRECTLY into the router.

no change.

The firewalls are norton firewall on the XPH (the windows firewall IS turned off while the norton firewall is on) and a sygate free eddition firewall on the 98. (the other 98 that is having trouble has no firewall)

Well I think that does it for me for tonight. I might be back on sunday I might not, all depends. But I WILL probly be back on monday so feel free to continue to ask questions and hopefully there will be an answer rattling around in there somewhere.

Since I'm signing off for the night I just want to say thnx to all you guys. Raptor, Commando, merlin, Doc, and anybody else I forgot! Though the results have yet to turn up, your effort is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 08:07:59 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:34:39 PM by merlin_2 »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2005, 11:25:38 AM »
AHA!!! IT WORKED!! IT WOR.... Wait a minute... No it didn't.

It worked for one restart on the 98.2, then after installing the netBEUI on the 98.3 and restarting the 98.2, the 98.3 and the XPH, the 98.2 could not get on the XPH's shared docs any more. AND the 98.3 STILL cant get on the XPH even with the netBEUI installed.

(plz note that I didn't uninstall the previouse protocalls as the article suggested, see why below.)

In an odd coincidence the 98.3 has a network everywhere NIC the same (or nearly the same) as in the article you gave me. Odd. Perhaps this is the source of all my woes. I will try unplugging the 98.3 from the network and restarting the XPH and the 98.2 and see what I can see.

Update:
AHA! AGAIN!!! Apperantly after a loooooooongggg list of things to try the 98.3 IS the culprit! I unplugged that machine and VIOLA! I can get on the XPH. Must be something with that NIC. So, a word to the wise, don't by a network everywhere NIC, it is not worth the woe.

Many many thnx again to you all! Especialy Merlin for the article that proved the final piece of the puzzle.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 05:49:41 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »