Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't access XP machine shared docs  (Read 21837 times)

Raptor

Re: Can't access XP machine shared docs
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 12:35:31 PM »
Default gateway...................: 192.168.#.*--- (if you need this info PM me and I'll get it to ya)
DHCP Server.........................: 192.168.#.*---(same as above)

Not quite relevant to your situation, but these adresses are the same in almost every home network. Mine is 192.168.1.1. As long as you do not reveal the IP adress your ROUTER uses to connect to the WAN outside your LAN, there will be little harm in telling what computer uses what number and what your DHCP server and default gateway is.

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 12:37:44 PM »
Ahh ok, good to know, thnx raptor. Ok, so how do I fix it?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 12:42:31 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 01:19:32 PM »
DHCP Server......................: 255.255.255.255
 top one

DHCP Server.........................: 192.168.#.*---(same as above

bottom one? that where the fault lies......all should be the same settings....

You overlooked Merlin's post, I'm affraid.

Here's an interesting article:

How Home Networking works

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 01:28:35 PM »
No I saw His post. I just don't know how to change those settings  :P lol

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 01:30:27 PM »
We all over look things.......i will own up ......to this....
the human factor.....or memory.....the brain will trick the eye to seeing anything.........and the mug of tea going down well.......
off topic i know!

I would advise mg.....to save the hassle ......make a network disk.....for peace of mind....But that up to you......

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 01:37:13 PM »
You should set all computers to obtain the IP adress automatically. This can be from the following menu:

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Right click on your Network card
5. Properties
6. Internet Protocol TCP/IP

Also be certain that your router is configured to have an adress pool that is large enough to support all your computers.

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 02:24:32 PM »
Ok, there all ALREADY set to obtain an IP automatically, as for the router adress pool I need to look at the documentation *pulls out phone book sized bunch of black and white papers*  ::) .

Man, this is waaaay complicated.

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 02:31:12 PM »
Try using the PING command on the following adresses from the computers that are not responding:

127.0.0.1 - if this does not return, there is an issue with the network card
192.168.1.1 - if this does not return, there is an issue with the connection to the router
www.computerhope.com  - if this does not return, there is an issue with the router connecting to the Internet or the DNS server
192.168.1.x - Where X is another computer connected to the same network. If this does not return, there is most likely an issue within in the LAN.

You should use the following adresses to determine where the problem lies. Can you access the Internet on the machines that refuse to share?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 02:32:54 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 02:38:33 PM »
 :-X two machines to setup..... follow on!

192.168.02 and so on .......192.168.06

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 03:10:06 PM »
Ok,

questions form Raptor:

127.0.0.1 -----------All Packets Returned
192.168.1.1---------All Packets Returned
192.168.2.103-----(one of the machines on my network, the 98.3) First packet not returned but the last three returned. I pinged it a second time and all packets returned. This happens no matter what machine I ping when I ping from the 98.2 because of my firewall. I turned it off and all the packets return on the first shot. I could not ping the 98.2 (the machine I have been pinging from) from the 98.4 untill I turned off the firewall on the 98.2. But even with the firewall off I cannot access the XPH from the 98.2.

OOPS!!! Well I gotta shut this machine down! we have a storm rolling in and I just lost power for a couple of seconds (I LOVE MY UPS!!!).

be back asap.

Ok back. Ummm... Ok your other questions raptor yes I can access the internet from both  :-X machines all the time. Even when they can't access the XPH shared docs. and I can even play LAN games between the XPH and the two  :-X  (well, actualy I need to confirm that yet from the 98.2 to the XPH. But the 98.3 CAN and DOES play LAN games with the XPH regularly even though it cannot access the XPH's shared doc's alot of the time.)

And as for the adress pool for the router I can't find anything in the documentation. Does this go by any facy-shmancy ten-syllable acrosstic or something like that that you, for simplicities sake, just called the adress pool? Or is there another way to know what I need to about my routers adress pool?

Now, Merlin's questions (or statement or whatever  :) )
so you want me to set all machine to have a static IP adress instead of using DHCP from the router?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 03:48:29 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 04:44:46 PM »
192.168.2.103........nope still wrong!<192.168.1.3> zeros in the wrong place!

Now, Merlin's questions (or statement or whatever   )
so you want me to set all machine to have a static IP adress instead of using DHCP from the router rg.....

yes.....common ground........abcd....etc....as above ::)

Raptor

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 04:59:32 PM »
And as for the adress pool for the router I can't find anything in the documentation. Does this go by any facy-shmancy ten-syllable acrosstic or something like that that you, for simplicities sake, just called the adress pool? Or is there another way to know what I need to about my routers adress pool?

The adress pool is just that, an option called adress pool which allows you to set a a number ranging from 192.168.2 to 192.168.1.254 to denote what adresses the DHCP server may pick.

Have you checked to see if all the computers still have the correct privileges?

Since everything still works as it should, apart from the shared documents, I do not think your issue is hardware related.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 05:00:40 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 05:09:56 PM »
Dont fiddle with router settings........the router is NOT the problem??.......nor is the hub......two pcs out of sync....my first suggestion if recall was to move the last in the net link up two.........to test for net connection...on the ones that have the problem........overlook it maybe.....more haste less speed...an old adage..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 05:12:49 PM by merlin_2 »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2005, 08:26:56 PM »
... This happens no matter what machine I ping when I ping from the 98.2 because of my [glb]firewall[/glb]. I turned it off and all the packets return on the first shot. I could not ping the 98.2 (the machine I have been pinging from) from the 98.4 untill I turned off the [glb]firewall [/glb]on the 98.2. But even with the firewall off I cannot access the XPH from the 98.2... .

RedEyes:

My experience is (and i may be out in left field) that using software firewalls other than the Windows XP firewall wreaks havoc with network connectivity.  Try disabling every firewall and see if that makes a difference.  

If it does, consider using a hardware firewall as a router instead of software firewalls, or see if there is a way to properly reconfigure the firewalls.

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 08:27:52 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2005, 08:42:33 PM »
Ok, here's the current situation: at one point during the storm (actualy it was after everything had calmed down but hey) the power went out for a period long enough that we had to turn everything off instead of running off the UPSs. during the time the power was out I figured I'd organize all the cords and cables around the router/hub/modem and three of the  PCs. During which I rearanged most of the networking cables. The problem remains the same even though nearly everything is in a differant location so let us set aside the options of bad sockets or cables. I concurr with Charles Bronsen over there, i think it's something software. Since I can LAN game and surf the net on all machines. Though if it's a software problem on the XPH side or the two 98s I don't know.

Now, what do you mean by privlages raptor? I've already ratified the emancipation proclamation for all my machines, whether black or white plastic if thats what you mean (though I admit I own a slave drive or two) ;) .

Do you mean there all in the same slave grou... Uhh.. I mean workgroup? I have them set up for workgroup based sharing and not the other one (which I can't remember the name of right now).

Hi PC doc, Ok, your suggestion:
I have used norton firewall, windows firewall, Computer Assocites Firewall, and now this sygate firewall (oh, and the router has firewall ability too though I don't think it's currently active). Now I admit this is the first time I have used the Sygate and it is a free firewall as opposed to the either windows or purchase firewalls. But the other firewalls I have been quite pleased with (I hold judgement on the Sygate). However I WILL try your suggestion and thank you for your advice, don't get me wrong.

Update: No joy. both the firewall for the XPH and the 98.2 are turned off (the other 98 that is having trouble has no firewall) and I still cannot access the shared docs on the XPH.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 08:55:52 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »