Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What about using DVD's to store lots of audio?  (Read 1900 times)

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
What about using DVD's to store lots of audio?
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
I'm just asking this to see if I understand and in my own words.  I can store music on DVD's but only as data.  Just for storage in case something happens to my computer and DVD's seem convenient to me because I can put alot of music on each and then later on use my computer to retrieve the data (music) and make CD's or put on my mp3 player.

Salmon Trout

Re: What about using DVD's to store lots of audio?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
I am not sure what you mean by "only as data". Data is the only thing you can store on a disk. You can store mp3s on a recordable DVD. Clearly with 4.7 GB of space you can get a lot on a disk, and if your DVD drive supports DL (Dual Layer) disks then that figure is nearly doubled to 8.5 GB. This is useful for storage and in fact you can use such a disk in many home DVD players these days. I have a fairly cheap Toshiba DVD player (it cost around 40 UK pounds, a bit less than 60 US dollars) it has RCA stereo sockets for hooking up to a hifi and optical output and it will play mp3s off a DVD burned as a DVD-ROM disk. You get an onscreen menu and you can set up a play list, which is great for parties or for using like a juke box. I organise them into folders by albums. You have to use a burning app like Nero to do this, I don't mean the Windows drag and drop method.

Did that answer your question?

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »
Yea. 

Basically, my question was how can I backup my data.  I keep thinking music and movies are just that when, as you say and everyone knows, they are data.  ...and I keep thinking that I can put music on my Ipod when everythings data. 

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
Basically, my question was how can I backup my data.

Burn it onto disks. Like I said.