Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SHORTING OUT THE MOTHERBOARD BY NOT SCREWING IN A NETWORK CARD  (Read 3303 times)

Lorine

Topic Starter

IS IT POSSIBLE TO SHORT OUT THE MOTHERBOARD IF YOU DID NOT  ??? :-\SCREW IN THE NETWORK CARD ON A DESKTOP.  IS THIS A COMMAN OCCURACE.  ALSO DOESN'T THE NETWORK CARD SNAP INTO THE MOTHERBOARD. :'(  THIS SEEM UNLIKELY TO ME.  I THINK SOMEONE IS JUST TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY A NEW MOTHERBOARD.
    THIS IS ON A DESKTOP WITH WINDOWS 7. LESS THAN A MONTH OLD
     ???

Salmon Trout

Re: SHORTING OUT THE MOTHERBOARD BY NOT SCREWING IN A NETWORK CARD
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 11:39:33 AM »
    Sure looks like your caps lock key is defective.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »
    1) Why don't you just tell us what the exact problem is that you are having?
    2) Please do not post in all caps - it is considered the equivalent of YELLING on a forum.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 12:17:46 PM »
    Those screws are provided for a reason, to stop cards getting loose in their slots or coming out altogether. If this happened when the system was powered up, I can easily imagine that catastrophic damage might occur. An clumsy insertion of a network cable could make the card rise up in its slot and cause intermittent contact or even partial disconnection. I also can imagine a motherboard maker or reseller declining a warranty claim in such a case.

baby

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:22:53 PM »
      2) Please do not post in all caps - it is considered the equivalent of YELLING on a forum.

WHY ARE YOU UPSET > AND WHAT THE PROBLEM IS THE USE OF THESE CAPITAL LETTERS  >:(

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:27:28 PM »
      WHY ARE YOU UPSET > AND WHAT THE PROBLEM IS THE USE OF THESE CAPITAL LETTERS  >:(

You have been told what the problem is. Do not type in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. Typing in all capital letters on the Internet is considered rude because it is difficult to read and comes across as very aggressive (LIKE SHOUTING!)
      « Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:46:49 PM by Salmon Trout »

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »
      ST - ignore"baby". It's @@ back again trying to cause trouble.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »
      Already been re-banned and all offensive posts removed.

Lorine

Topic Starter

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:44:54 PM »
        Hello, I wanted to say I did not mean to be yelling.  That was not my intentions.  I also wanted to thank you for your replys. Do you think it is reasonable for this guy to charge me 80- 120 to replace the motherboard.  Because I was the one who put the network card in.  But it was fine for 3 weeks and then one morning it just would not start up. I did not move the computer or anything.  So I am still kinda questioning this persons intent.  Thanks again and I am sorry one more time.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43:59 PM »
        Do you think it is reasonable for this guy to charge me 80- 120 to replace the motherboard. 

1. 80 - 120 what? Swiss Francs? Yen? Renmibi? Of course you probably mean USD. That is not a lot if it includes labour and dismantling/reassembly.

Because I was the one who put the network card in.

You broke the warranty and busted the computer. Doesn't it have onboard network?

But it was fine for 3 weeks and then one morning it just would not start up. I did not move the computer or anything.

All broken computers work fine until the day they break.

So I am still kinda questioning this persons intent.

Well, you'll never know, and you gave him the ammunition by incorrectly installing the network card. Pay the 80-120 and move on

Thanks again and I am sorry one more time.

Relax. I'm sorry I bit your head off over that.