Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IP address/ Network  (Read 3271 times)

Zara

IP address/ Network
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:43:19 AM »
Can i know who used my Network through their IP? does it appear that IP....... used a specific network on that date and that time?

KenJackson

Beginner
    • Yes
    • Jackson I/O
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: IP address/ Network
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:42:10 AM »
If I understand what you are asking, you have an IP address that you are trying to determine which computer was using it at a particular date and time.  Right?

Is the address in one of these ranges?
10.0.0.0 -- 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 -- 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 -- 192.168.255.255

If it is, then it is an internal address.  That is, it is assigned by some router (or possibly by some person) and it gets translated to an external address when accessing the internet.  In your case, it makes your job much easier because it probably means the computer is within the building.

Otherwise, you may be able to get a little information by typing it into DomainTools reverse IP or similar sites.

You could also type it into the Quick Search box at BotScout to see if someone is using it to run a bot network script.

Lastly, note that most IP addresses are dynamically assigned these days.  That means whoever had that address yesterday may not have it today.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
open a command line (assuming you're using windows) and enter "ping -a 4.2.2.2"
That will return the name of the computer you are pinging. Getting more information about the computer can be done, but may not be allowed for discussion per forum rules.

KenJackson

Beginner
    • Yes
    • Jackson I/O
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
... and enter "ping -a 4.2.2.2"
That will return the name of the computer you are pinging.

Huh?

Zara didn't say what IP she was interested in.  I think the IP you mentioned is a DNS server.  I can't see how that will help--though I confess the original question is not crystal clear to me.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:06:37 AM »
Huh?

Zara didn't say what IP she was interested in.  I think the IP you mentioned is a DNS server.  I can't see how that will help--though I confess the original question is not crystal clear to me.

ya, 4.2.2.2 is a dns server.... I guess I should have said "for example" after the suggestion. ;)
The main thing is "ping -a" followed by the ip address