Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what is a best webdesign software?  (Read 11131 times)

keyboardboy1

Topic Starter

Rookie

what is a best webdesign software?
    « on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
    tell me name of this software.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: what is a best webdesign software?
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:12:02 AM »
    That's a very vague question.

WYSIWYG or editor?

spockrates

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
      WYSIWYG is an acronym for "what you see is what you get".  Some web design software does not display the pages as you make changes, and only let you view the HTML, CSS and JavaScript code.

The best is arguably Dreamweaver, which is sold by Adobe:

www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

It's about a thousand dollars (USD), but students and teachers can get it for about $400.00, maybe less.

Others I've tried and liked that are under $100.00 or free:

Microsoft Expression Web:

www.microsoft.com/expression/products/web_overview.aspx

CoffeeCup HTML Editor:

www.coffeecup.com/html-editor/

and Microsoft Visual Studio Express:

www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/

They are in order of price (the last one being free) and they are all WYSIWYG, allowing you to view the changes of the web pages as you edit the code without having to open your web browser.  The easiest to use is CoffeeCup HTML Editor.  CoffeeCup also makes a Visual Site Designer that requires no HTML programming at all, but I don't recommend it for several reasons.
      « Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:50:59 AM by spockrates »

yanng1

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:14:26 AM »
        what languages are you writing software in?

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »

I use Dreamweaver, but as stated it does cost alot, most of my college friends use Komposer, which is free

http://www.kompozer.net/
        11 cheers for binary !

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »
        I am not the only one who will say this. This is the year 2010. Forget things that were in use twenty years ago.

Coffee Cup sucks!  >:(
        Microsoft makes bloatware.
        Adobe is very pricey, and very good.

Best  choice if you do not want to Adobe  or MS is:

Netfusion

It is very powerful, state of the art and can be had in a low cost version. Or even almost free.

http://netobjects.com/

If you are a creative person this is what you want.

If you just want to be a Geek, learn HTML.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »

Totally agree with this, there is no substitute for learning HTML or XHTML
        11 cheers for binary !

spockrates

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »
          what languages are you writing software in?

HTML, DHTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, ActionScript, VB, SQL, ASP.NET.
          « Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:37:01 AM by spockrates »

spockrates

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »
            I am not the only one who will say this. This is the year 2010. Forget things that were in use twenty years ago.

Coffee Cup sucks!  >:(
            Microsoft makes bloatware.
            Adobe is very pricey, and very good.

Best  choice if you do not want to Adobe  or MS is:

Netfusion

It is very powerful, state of the art and can be had in a low cost version. Or even almost free.

http://netobjects.com/

If you are a creative person this is what you want.

I agree about CoffeeCup for the most part.  The only software they make worth considering is their HTML Editor.  Have not used Netfusion, yet.  What are some of its pros?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 11:34:18 AM »
            I use EditPadPro to work on my web-site; mostly because most of the WYSIWYG solutions both suck terribly when it comes to mixing server-side with client side code (they always seem to prefer client-side javascript it seems).

I haven't used a WYSIWYG web editor for ages, not since Visual Interdev was actually acceptable to use. that and a teensy bit of Dreamweaver+Fireworks... it was at that point that I realized something.

No matter what program you choose- Dreamweaver, netfusion, Visual Studio Web Developer, you need to learn how to use it. And they are all quite different. For example, to use Dreamweavers various features most effectively, you need to know all about slicing and other crap relating to images, for rollovers, and other various things.

The thing is, if you know HTML, CSS, and a little JS, you can do rollovers without a specific tool. Sure, it's easier to say, place tables and divs and other elements around using these wysiwyg tools, and simple effects are often easier (as long as you stick rather closely to the generic implementation). But once you get into the more "advanced" features, not only to all the various tools differ in how they do it, but generally learning the feature isn't that much easier then learning how to write it yourself. (I mean, seriously, what the *censored* does it mean to "slice" an image? you'd think that would split it into two images or something, but nope.. or maybe it does? whatever it is/was it's completely out of context when it comes to the actual web content being generated.)
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

spockrates

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
              I use EditPadPro to work on my web-site; mostly because most of the WYSIWYG solutions both suck terribly when it comes to mixing server-side with client side code (they always seem to prefer client-side javascript it seems). ...

Yes, I've used the free EditPad and liked it. Another good and free text-only editor is Notepad++.  What I like about it is you can customize the font colors for different types of code. (You can choose any color you want for numbers, and choose a different color for keywords, a different color for strings, and so on.)  It's what I frequently use for JavaScript.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
              « Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:50:33 AM by spockrates »

spockrates

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
                I use Dreamweaver, but as stated it does cost alot, most of my college friends use Komposer, which is free

http://www.kompozer.net/

Haven't yet decided if I want to fork out the bucks for Dreamweaver.  What do your friends like about Komposer?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »
                Yes, I've used the free EditPad and liked it. Another good and free text-only editor is Notepad++.  What I like about it is you can customize the font colors for different types of code. (You can choose any color you want for numbers, and choose a different color for keywords, a different color for strings, and so on.)  It's what I frequently use for JavaScript.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

the Pro Version of Editpad feature Syntax highlighting, code folding, and stuff of that nature as well.

Notepad++ would have worked fine for me, if it had a FTP plugin that even close to touching the ease of use of the Editpad pro FTP panel. All the other various features (file panel, explorer panel, file navigator, macro recording, etc are just icing on the cake.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

spockrates

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
                  the Pro Version of Editpad feature Syntax highlighting, code folding, and stuff of that nature as well.

Notepad++ would have worked fine for me, if it had a FTP plugin that even close to touching the ease of use of the Editpad pro FTP panel. All the other various features (file panel, explorer panel, file navigator, macro recording, etc are just icing on the cake.

I like that they both reside in the system tray.  How much is Editpad Pro?

spockrates

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »
                    It looks like Adobe and Microsoft are fighting to be king of the hill, with all the rest clawing their way to the top!