Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Must press F1 to load WindowsXP  (Read 7538 times)

Judyfromtx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Must press F1 to load WindowsXP
    « on: August 01, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »
    Hi...I had to install a new hard drive and reinstall WindowsXP in my HP Pavilion zd7000 laptop.  Now the black "invent" screen comes up saying Press ESC to change boot order, Press 10 to eneter setup, and Press F12 to Boot from Lan.  There are no other error messages or anything.  Just these instructions.  Then, there are 2 beeps and another black screen comes up saying Press F1 to resume or F10 to setup.  I press F1 and WindowsXP loads fine.  I have changed boot order, disabled and re-enabled bootable devices, EVERYTHING, and it makes no difference.  It's not the battery, because the time stays correct.  Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this, so the laptop will load directly to Windows XP.  If you an idea as to what it is, could you please give me the instructions on how to fix it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Must press F1 to load WindowsXP
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:20 PM »
    Because the new hard drive does not contain the HP Recovery Partition, the boot.ini file is pointing to the wrong location.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000492.htm

Right-click My Computer---Select Properties---Select Advanced tab
    Startup & Recovery, Settings
    Edit Startup Options will bring up boot.ini file in Notepad
    Copy & Paste contents here.

Should look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Judyfromtx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
      Computer_Commando, Thank you so much for trying to help.  I did as you told me, but it didn't work.  When I opened my boot.ini file, "fastdetect" was before noexecute=optin, so I just knew that changing that was going to work, but it didn't.  Everything else was the same.  I went under the file menu, and saved it before I closed the window, and I logged back on to see if it was the same after restarting the computer, and it was...........it just didn't make it load without going through the F1 window.  Oh gosh.....do you have anymore suggestions.  You are the only one that has given me any real help.  Could you please make another suggestion.  I have done everything, I think, but update the BIOS.  That sounds pretty serious to me.  I don't want to blow the machine up after having spent money for the hard drive!  I have no idea as to how to update the BIOS.  Once again, I can't "Thank you" enough for trying to help!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 05:36:12 PM »
      Did you look carefully at the bold?

[boot loader]
      timeout=30
      default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Also, go to Disk Management
      How many partitions are there on the new hard drive?
      Better, yet, post a pic, like this:

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Judyfromtx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
        Hi Computer_Commando, I am not on the computer that I'm having problems with....it's beside me.  I can connect it to the internet if you want and send you a picture of the disk management.  But, this is the information

Disk 0
        Basic
        232.88 GB

Directly across from it is:
         (C:)   WindowsXP is NOT LISTED AS IT IS ON YOUR EXAMPLE!!!
        232.88 GB NTFS   
        Healthy System

Then down is the:
        CD-ROM 0
        DVD (D:)

No Media

Please stick with me.....thank you for trying to help!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
        Try booting to BIOS set-up and press Setup Defaults(F9) and Save changes and exit and see what happens...

Judyfromtx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
          Thank you, Jason, for trying to help.  I have tried that.  Unfortunately, I think it's a little more complicated.  You were very nice to try to help.

Judyfromtx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
            Computer_Commando........Where are you!  LOL  Is there some way that I can get the WinXP in front of the (C:) in disk management?  Does it need to be there, like in the picture that you sent me?  It seems as though WinXP is not being recognized.....just by looking at this.  Possibly, that COULD be the problem.  I don't know how to get WinXP before the (C:).  I realized I don't think I know how to get a picture of the area that you want uploaded to this site.  I'm sorry, I don't know very much about computers..........but, I try.  If you could please answer, I would appreciate it so much!  Yes........I'm begging! LOL

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 11:30:53 PM »
             ???Wow, if you were able to install a new Win Xp OS and disable/able certain drives then theres nothing complicated about booting to BIOS. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

Judyfromtx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
              Hi Jason....Thanks for your encouragement and suggestion.  I did go back into the BIOS Setup Utility and set it to "default".  That moved the Boot order to 1.  Removable Devices 2. CD-Rom Drive 3. Hard Drive 4. Realtek Boot Agent.

I changed it back because someone told me to make sure that the Hard Drive was first and the CD-Rom was second.

Allan

• Mastermind
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
              Leave the cd as the first boot device and the hd as the next boot device. As for the boot.ini file, please post a copy of what yours looks like.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
              Computer_Commando........Where are you!  LOL  Is there some way that I can get the WinXP in front of the (C:) in disk management?  Does it need to be there, like in the picture that you sent me?  It seems as though WinXP is not being recognized.....just by looking at this.  Possibly, that COULD be the problem.  I don't know how to get WinXP before the (C:).  I realized I don't think I know how to get a picture of the area that you want uploaded to this site...
              That's just the name I assigned to the volume, i.e. WinXP.  You could name it whatever you like. i.e. "Judyfromtx".  I only wanted you to provide this info to determine if there were other partitions on the drive; there are not because Disk0 & "C-drive" are the same size.  This could actually be the problem, The BIOS is expecting to see a restore partition which no longer exists.  This partition is most likely before (in front of) the "C-drive".  Also, I always like CD-ROM 1st, in case you need to boot from CD.  I'm not sure what #4 is:  Realtek Boot Agent; I think it's "Boot from LAN"
              Leave the cd as the first boot device and the hd as the next boot device. As for the boot.ini file, please post a copy of what yours looks like.
              Please do this.

Computer_Commando

Hacker

Judyfromtx

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »
                I want to THANK all of you so much for trying to help me!

MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED!

Everwin, from the HP Support Forum, sent a link to update my BIOS, and it fixed the problem!

So, for anyone with this problem, possibly you need to update your BIOS.

Once again, thank you so very much for making suggestions, and taking an interest in my problem.